lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
Um I'm actually really embarassed about this, but I figured this was the best place to come for advice without judgement...

I shouldn't have even been looking at my VMCAS application, but I realized that there's a typo in my hours of experience...I put 300 instead of 3000 :scared:

This is a pretty big mistake. Would it be worth e-mailing admissions at this point? Or would it just make me look like MORE of an idiot? My schools were WSU and CSU.

I proofread that thing like a maniac, too. If anybody applying next year is reading this, get SOMEONE ELSE to proofread your application too!

flyhi

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would absolutely let them know of the error. You may end up calling, but I would follow up with an email so that you have something documented in writing that you notified them and hopefully a response letting you know they made note of it in your file.

Thank goodness you found it now instead of much later. Don't beat yourself up too much. Mistakes happen, it isn't life threatening and now you need to correct it. It could end up being a lesson learned to discuss in an interview.

Good Luck!

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
Agree with Flyhi. A minor error I would ignore, but this is something that could make the difference between an interview/acceptance and a rejection. Gonna have to suck it up.... Call then e-mail or e-mail then call. Either way works.

OP
lareinesoleil

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
OK, I will definitely do that tomorrow. I will prolly call first, so that I'll know I got through in case my e-mail gets lost in the shuffle. Thanks for your responses...I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake! This is what you get when you proofread your application when you're jet-lagged ><
Yikes.

Ehkehfemal

UPenn c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I also agree with flyhi. I made a mistake in my VMCAS and forgot to put in my projected classes. To fix it I just emailed all of the admissions offices, and they all said it was fine. For something like this, though, especially since it's so close to the acceptances/interview invites, you probably should call and let them know ASAP. Good luck!

goldielocks137

UTK CVM c/o 2015
Apr 10, 2010
Knoxville
Status
Veterinary Student
Good thing you only have to notify two schools of the typo! It would be a major bummer to call/email if you had applied to more! But don't beat yourself up about it. Simple error and simple fix

OP
lareinesoleil

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
They told me it was too late to make any changes. I guess we'll see what happens...as soon as Friday for CSU:scared:

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
They told me it was too late to make any changes. I guess we'll see what happens...as soon as Friday for CSU:scared:
that's strange they couldnt make a personal note about the error. I mean, what if you had written 3000 hrs instead of 300 and called them, they really would have just kept the 3000 knowing that person did not have as much experience? im sure they would have changed it. Do they not realize this could make a HUGE diff?!!?!? jeez, it drives me crazy even though this isnt for myself lol ok...maybe they did make a personal note on your file but just didn't tell you

OP
lareinesoleil

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
that's strange they couldnt make a personal note about the error. I mean, what if you had written 3000 hrs instead of 300 and called them, they really would have just kept the 3000 knowing that person did not have as much experience? im sure they would have changed it. Do they not realize this could make a HUGE diff?!!?!? jeez, it drives me crazy even though this isnt for myself lol ok...maybe they did make a personal note on your file but just didn't tell you
You know, I didn't think of that, but you're totally right. I'm sure they WOULD have made the change if I had put 3000 and it was really 300 :laugh:

CSU said it was too late, although now that I know that their decisions are going out Friday I can see that it prolly WAS actually too late. (Luckily, though, I put how many hours per week I was working on that application and they'll easily be able to see that it's WAY more than 300.) And WSU said that if I get an interview, I can explain then. Hopefully I get one!

3 days until CSU makes a decision...good luck everybody...EEP.

RaiderTXgirl

TEXAS A&M c/o 2015!
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Status
Veterinary Student
You know, I didn't think of that, but you're totally right. I'm sure they WOULD have made the change if I had put 3000 and it was really 300 :laugh:

CSU said it was too late, although now that I know that their decisions are going out Friday I can see that it prolly WAS actually too late. (Luckily, though, I put how many hours per week I was working on that application and they'll easily be able to see that it's WAY more than 300.) And WSU said that if I get an interview, I can explain then. Hopefully I get one!

3 days until CSU makes a decision...good luck everybody...EEP.
Good luck! :luck: I hope you hear some good news!! :xf: I know it must be frustrating, but I think BlacKAT has a point. It seems like a lot of schools DO make exceptions for people. I think they just don't like to advertise it because they might start getting people that are more careless on the application, because they know they can just call later to fix it. It's like how some schools will take recommendation letters a little bit late, but they don't exactly tell you that.