7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
under the sea
    Hi everyone

I recently had a refraction done by a friend and my correction went from

Sph -4.5 Cyl -1.75 axis 170 to

sph -9.5 cyl -3.0 axis 100

in 18 months. I feel really bad about this and I'm wondering what might have caused this. I can still see fine in my glasses albeit its a little blurry...but i didn't expect this much change

there are times when I don't take off my contacts for a week at a time...so i'm thinking I might have damaged my corneas

do you think its normal? or a retinal problem? corneal?

I'm wondering what the possibilities are...

About the Ads

Richard_Hom

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    May 29, 2003
    San Mateo, CA
      Originally posted by johnstoner
      Hi everyone

I recently had a refraction done by a friend and my correction went from

Sph -4.5 Cyl -1.75 axis 170 to

sph -9.5 cyl -3.0 axis 100

in 18 months. I feel really bad about this and I'm wondering what might have caused this. I can still see fine in my glasses albeit its a little blurry...but i didn't expect this much change

there are times when I don't take off my contacts for a week at a time...so i'm thinking I might have damaged my corneas

do you think its normal? or a retinal problem? corneal?

I'm wondering what the possibilities are...

1. contact lens over wear (EW???)

2. over minussed refraction, recheck with cycloplegic refraction

Richard_Hom

GlaucomaMD

GlaucomaMD
      15+ Year Member
        Common things being common...

I agree with Richard_Hom

Rule out over-minus refraction... Very common in young people when they are not having cycloplegic refraction...

You can also check by using red-green line on the visual acuity chart to confirm this.
        You should see the letters within the red and the green box with approximately same clarity.

johnstoner

Ben Franklin on Hashish
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 15, 2002
        under the sea
          first he used an auto refractor and then tweaked it manually...but overall it was at that prescription. Hmmm...i don't know.

worry is that my gradma on my dad's side was blind, and my oldest uncle is in the process of going blind. I'm not sure what it is...could be glaucoma or macular degeneration...who knows.

Richard_Hom

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          May 29, 2003
          San Mateo, CA
            Originally posted by johnstoner
            first he used an auto refractor and then tweaked it manually...but overall it was at that prescription. Hmmm...i don't know..."

Dear johnstoner,

Autorefractors are notorious for over-estimating the refractive errors of myopes. This is especially true if the subjective refraction was done with the autorefractor.

The autorefractor can be used more carefully in your case if you get cycopleged with 1 drop of cycolpentolate 1% each eye followed by another in 10min
            Richard_Hom

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.