Serious Psych Programs to Steer From [2023]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badskittles

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The last "Psych Programs to Steer away from" was back in 2018, and since residency programs are always changing with new PDs and whatnot, I wanted to just ask the forums which programs psych applicants should stay away from. I hear LSU Shreve was one of them, but doximity reviews suggest that there might be new changes? Please post your thoughts for the upcoming year of applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't the match happen like a month ago? We are many months away from the next cycle.
Also think that these threads lend themselves to opinions and not facts.

Didn't the match happen like a month ago? We are many months away from the next cycle.
Also think that these threads lend themselves to opinions and not facts.
Agree as a whole, but if there's tangible things that can be identified then I do think it's worth letting applicants know. There was the thread about one of the Hawaii programs a while ago that had some decent information. While clearly had some bias, it also seemed to give some fairly objective statements about problems they had there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily psych specific, but I only hear bad things about Larkin across all specialties, and they severely underpay for being in a HCOL city. I feel like HCA-affiliated residencies should also be avoided as a general rule.

Last edited:
Based on the other thread, apparently University of Hawaii.

Heard terrible things about Temple when I was interviewing 4 years ago

Stay away from Princeton-Plainsboro in NJ

Not sure if making a joke about the show "House" or referring to Penn Medicine Princeton MC (formerly University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro)...

1681942006934.png

Hello everyone,

The last "Psych Programs to Steer away from" was back in 2018, and since residency programs are always changing with new PDs and whatnot, I wanted to just ask the forums which programs psych applicants should stay away from. I hear LSU Shreve was one of them, but doximity reviews suggest that there might be new changes? Please post your thoughts for the upcoming year of applicants!
LSU Shreveport has a new chair. The old chair was super malignant and destroyed the department due to her ego coupled with other malignant faculty.

I heard the program In Scranton is pretty bad.

Not sure if making a joke about the show "House" or referring to Penn Medicine Princeton MC (formerly University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro)...

View attachment 369673

I think any program who has this guy as a fellowship director is probably toxic in all its programs:
1682085821058.jpeg

I feel like I have noticed folks on this forum saying negative things about Georgetown and WashU in the past... Can't remember the specific criticisms but maybe someone with that knowledge will chime in here to confirm or deny.

Gerogetown/Medstar programs generally tend to be toxic so I agree with above comment.

Besides LSU Shreveport, hear any bad things about residencies in LA like LSU-NOLA or Tulane?

Gerogetown/Medstar programs generally tend to be toxic so I agree with above comment.
My experience in the area has been that it seems that Georgetown psych is fine. Call schedule is probably below average but it seems to be a more pleasant residency than some of the other local residencies like GW or Howard.

I got no idea of the program is good or bad, and there wasn't a residency program there while I lived in NJ, but the "University Hospital" in Princeton has nothing to do with Princeton U.

Princeton has no medical school/university, but despite this the "University Hospital of Princeton" has made every misleading effort to put the terms "University" and "Princeton" to create that gobsmacking institution's fake presence in their name.

I just got a great ide. I'm going to make a new university, make myself the president and call called Harfard Unversity, hmm or maybe Yele, or maybe Stanferd!.

Besides LSU Shreveport, hear any bad things about residencies in LA like LSU-NOLA or Tulane?
I can't speak for LSU programs, but no major concerns for Tulane. I have a co-worker who completed residency there in the past couple of years and has spoken positively about it. I can ask them if you have specific questions about it.