Serious question: How do I do a background check on myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCIrish03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I just call the local police? An incident I just remembered from 1999 that I forgot to include on my secondaries last year might have bit me in the rear. Long story short, Back in 1999, I was stopped by ski patrol for not having a pass. I honestly had forgotten to purchase one, because I was home from college and for the 10 years before I had a season pass, so it slipped my mind. Ski patrol guy wouldn't budge, and had a cop write me a ticket. All I remember is that it was a class C misdemeanor (i think), but it wasn't for being rude or insolent, as I was polite about it. Basically he had to write something, and he didn't want to give me a "theft of services" or whatever it's called.

Are the statute of limitations up on this one?

Members don't see this ad.

TCIrish03 said:
Can I just call the local police? An incident I just remembered from 1999 that I forgot to include on my secondaries last year might have bit me in the rear. Long story short, Back in 1999, I was stopped by ski patrol for not having a pass. I honestly had forgotten to purchase one, because I was home from college and for the 10 years before I had a season pass, so it slipped my mind. Ski patrol guy wouldn't budge, and had a cop write me a ticket. All I remember is that it was a class C misdemeanor (i think), but it wasn't for being rude or insolent, as I was polite about it. Basically he had to write something, and he didn't want to give me a "theft of services" or whatever it's called.

I reccomend Net Detective --- you can google it for a link, I think it's netdetective.com or something.

I had to do one for myself before I enlisted in the Army --- I was only 18, but I had a rough childhood so I wanted to make sure I'd see what they saw.

Xypathos said:
I reccomend Net Detective --- you can google it for a link, I think it's netdetective.com or something.

I had to do one for myself before I enlisted in the Army --- I was only 18, but I had a rough childhood so I wanted to make sure I'd see what they saw.

Thanks, I used it and it turned up nothing....now I need to cancel before I get billed monthly, haha. Thanks

Still, I am just going to call the court clerk tomorrow (which is probably what I should have just done in the first place.)

Members don't see this ad :)
TCIrish03 said:
Thanks, I used it and it turned up nothing....now I need to cancel before I get billed monthly, haha. Thanks

Still, I am just going to call the court clerk tomorrow (which is probably what I should have just done in the first place.)

It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I laud your effort to take precautions, but if its something as miniscule as forgetting to purchase a pass, I don't think its worthy of even going on your AMCAS or perhaps even a secondary. Sure, some people will disagree and claim that it's unlawful to leave out the incident, but in this case, I really don't think its necessary.

Don't let this minor incident rear over your head.

Just keep up with the secondaries and best of luck,
-Dr. P.

TCIrish03 said:

They'll only be able to do a city (some can do a state, the city I'm in now can't; the one back in NC can).

But if you've not traveled around a lot or haven't bounced between states, this should satisfy you.

Well, from memory it was a somerset County Deputy cop. It was definitely a Class C midemeanor, though I didn't get a court date, but I did have a $150 fine though. I think the complaint read "disorderly conduct", because he said he could have written me for a felony theft of services. If it was just a slap on the wrist from ski patrol, I wouldn't care.

I know it seems like a big hassle for nothing that happened so long ago. And I've seen secondaries range from not caring at all (SUNY), to asking to report every traffic violation (Cincinnati/Vermont)

Dr. Pepper said:
It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I laud your effort to take precautions, but if its something as miniscule as forgetting to purchase a pass, I don't think its worthy of even going on your AMCAS or perhaps even a secondary. Sure, some people will disagree and claim that it's unlawful to leave out the incident, but in this case, I really don't think its necessary.

Don't let this minor incident rear over your head.

Just keep up with the secondaries and best of luck,
-Dr. P.

Fugitives from the law aren't supposed to be doctors :)

Actually, I was on the phone with my cop friend 15 minutes ago talking about this very subject (not related to skiing)!!!!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but here's what you can do to be sure.

Call the county clerk in the county for which the citation was issued. They can tell you if anything is outstanding.

If only I was as careful as you!!!!!!!

Don't worry - be happy.

Touche, I called the clerk this morning, and got my answer.

I was given a "Disorderly Conduct" for skiing without a pass, to which I plead guilty and paid $150. This is a "Summary Offense". Summary Offenses are below Class C Misdemeanors. Therefor, if a school asks to report felonies and misdemeanors, summary offenses don't need to be reported, (so that's good news for me.) So hopefully, nobody who applied reported information to schools that didn't need to be reported. When in doubt, call the clerk.

Sporky said:
Fugitives from the law aren't supposed to be doctors :)

Actually, I was on the phone with my cop friend 15 minutes ago talking about this very subject (not related to skiing)!!!!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but here's what you can do to be sure.

Call the county clerk in the county for which the citation was issued. They can tell you if anything is outstanding.

If only I was as careful as you!!!!!!!

Don't worry - be happy.

I was also thinking you could do a citizens arrest on yourself and then claim the reward and use it toward that wonderful "money saving" process known as Amcas!

Do they actually think they are saving people money?

I applaud your efforts for sticking around when you got caught without the pass... I ran... got away.

That's awesome- I love Ski Patrol!

TCIrish03 said: