DentalKidd

7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello friends, I am in a confused state right now. I started out in undergrad with Computer Science and that didn't go well at all, I switched over to Biology, did better in that, but my overall GPA ended up being a 2.0/4.0. I dealt with a sick parent the first three years of undergrad while attempting to work and attend school which is the reason for the low GPA. Awful I know!! Well I knew I wanted to go to dental school and that GPA would not suffice so after I graduated 2 years ago, I did an informal post bacc, retaking the 3 prereqs I received a C or below in and upper level bio courses such as Immuno, Microbial Patho, ect. I've taken 45 credits worth of post bacc courses and have a 3.7, I did very well on the DAT, 23/AA and 21/PAT. That 2.0 undergrad GPA concerns me very much. I have tons of shadowing, volunteer and research experience. What can help me? Any and I mean ANY information will be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hm, I would suggest getting a masters degree to show that your low GPA was due to bad circumstances. Getting solid letters of recommendations would be a must too. You are definitely going in the right direction. Your DAT score shows you know the material, now you just need to show you are able to handle a rigorous course load for an extended amount of time. Hopefully this helps.

Mudfever

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2007
Louisiana
Status
Dentist
Hi there,

I am in a similar situation. I went to school and earned a business degree to go work for the family business. Being young and immature, I was irresponsible and did poorly, graduating with a 2.19. Went to work in the family business, but it wasn't for me. So I went back and earned a 3.85 over 88 hours and received a second B.S. in biochemistry.

The best advice I could give you is to go and talk face to face with the dean of admissions at each and every school you plan to apply to. Get their advice and see what you need to do. It sounds excessive, but I didn't talk to all that I applied to and I haven't heard anything from those schools.

I had one school tell me that I needed to get my cumulative GPA up to a 3.0. Well I added 88 hours with a 3.85 and it brought my GPA to a 2.63. So that school wasn't an option anymore as it would take 100 - 200 more hours.

Good luck with everything and don't let anyone discourage you. It may take getting a masters or more post bac, but if dentistry is what you want, then it is worth it.

Mud