Jul 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys so I have my first interview next week and have a serious question that I need some guidance on. I've been growing out my facial hair for quite some time now and was wondering if it's really necessary to shave all of this hard work off prior to my interview? Has an Adcom really ever been like "you know he was a good candidate but that facial hair just ruined it for me". Any insight would be appreciated!

Red G

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Everything I've read has said to shave. All you get is a first impression and you don't want anything that could potentially be seen as a negative.

narvik2016

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
It really depends on what your beard looks like.

Some beards are great, some are...... not.

May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd say groomed such that it looks professional is fine. I'd splurge and go to a barber for a beard trim though, make it look really good.

I'm gonna shave mine, but I keep it short anyhow, gets irritating if it gets long. Can re-grow in 2 weeks.

There is at least one dean of admissions who has a full beard... Go to 1:10
The dean can show up unwashed and in dirty jeans. Full biker beard. He's the dean, he's allowed to do that.

Interviewee still need a suit.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been growing out my facial hair for quite some time now and was wondering if it's really necessary to shave all of this hard work off prior to my interview?
The bolded made me laugh. Shave it and grow it back later or don't but keep it well groomed. As long as you look presentable it should be fine. It's your call.

Reactions: DokterMom

beeboops

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2015
Status
"All this hard work".

Like as if you toiled to grow each individual hair :yeahright: I'll never understand this growing cult of facial hair.

Trim it if it's long. If it's not too long, then keep it groomed. If you're really worried about it, and it's gonna make you self-conscious during the interview, then just shave it all off. It's best to be comfortable and not thinking about your appearance during an interview. You already have 23948034 things to worry about.

OP
Wolfpack93
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
"All this hard work".

Like as if you toiled to grow each individual hair :yeahright: I'll never understand this growing cult of facial hair.

Trim it if it's long. If it's not too long, then keep it groomed. If you're really worried about it, and it's gonna make you self-conscious during the interview, then just shave it all off. It's best to be comfortable and not thinking about your appearance during an interview. You already have 23948034 things to worry about.
It's the opposite, I'd probably be less self conscious with the beard. Seeing as I've had it for over a year. And it was hard work. Having to meticulously trim and groom it every few weeks was no easy task.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
It's the opposite, I'd probably be less self conscious with the beard. Seeing as I've had it for over a year. And it was hard work. Having to meticulously trim and groom it every few weeks was no easy task.
Keep it. Let us know how things turn out. We need data.

OP
Wolfpack93
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Just thought I'd update everyone. Ultimately, I decided to shave. This is one of the biggest sacrifices I've made and I hope schools will realize the lengths I'm willing to go for admission. Thank you all for your input and support through these trying times.

BluMist

I'm the only one of me. Baby, that's the fun of me
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Just thought I'd update everyone. Ultimately, I decided to shave. This is one of the biggest sacrifices I've made and I hope schools will realize the lengths I'm willing to go for admission. Thank you all for your input and support through these trying times.
You should send an updated personal statement to document this adversity that you had to overcome.

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I kept mine (well groomed and very short), and went 1 for 2 on interviews.

All else being equal, I'd say shave. Facial hair will indeed turn some people off. It may hurt and it won't help.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I kept mine (well groomed and very short), and went 1 for 2 on interviews.

All else being equal, I'd say shave. Facial hair will indeed turn some people off. It may hurt and it won't help.
I think that it can help some very young looking guys who otherwise look "too young" to be taken seriously.

el_duderino

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think that it can help some very young looking guys who otherwise look "too young" to be taken seriously.
That's a good point, and why I actually ended up keeping mine. I was 32 when I interviewed. I recently started shaving again, and literally got carded two weeks ago buying spray glue. So... yeah.....

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
All this "hard work" and "great sacrifice".

Another Millennial clearly destined for medical greatness...

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Serious question is serious:

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face and looks similar to this:

I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.

Last edited:

el_duderino

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face:
I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.
If you actually look like him, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face:

Try dipping the razor in rubbing alcohol before you shave with it.

Reactions: tenblackalps

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
There are two different issues here for the OP

1) Can you be successful at interview with beard? Answer is yes

2) What do I about the worry over this beard? Shave it off and you have no worries. Or keep it. But worrying about an issue that is easily solved is silly when you could be spending your time, energy and resources on more important things.

So make a decision and move on

Reactions: bearintraining

Oncie

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2015

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face and looks similar to this:

Marchisio is a very handsome man :love:

Reactions: tenblackalps
Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: StudyLater