Serious question

Started by Wolfpack93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wolfpack93

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys so I have my first interview next week and have a serious question that I need some guidance on. I've been growing out my facial hair for quite some time now and was wondering if it's really necessary to shave all of this hard work off prior to my interview? Has an Adcom really ever been like "you know he was a good candidate but that facial hair just ruined it for me". Any insight would be appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everything I've read has said to shave. All you get is a first impression and you don't want anything that could potentially be seen as a negative.
 
liMf6WHArqll.jpg
 
I'd say groomed such that it looks professional is fine. I'd splurge and go to a barber for a beard trim though, make it look really good.

I'm gonna shave mine, but I keep it short anyhow, gets irritating if it gets long. Can re-grow in 2 weeks.

There is at least one dean of admissions who has a full beard... Go to 1:10

The dean can show up unwashed and in dirty jeans. Full biker beard. He's the dean, he's allowed to do that.

xM9l7_NT6ks.jpg


Interviewee still need a suit.
 
I've been growing out my facial hair for quite some time now and was wondering if it's really necessary to shave all of this hard work off prior to my interview?

The bolded made me laugh. Shave it and grow it back later or don't but keep it well groomed. As long as you look presentable it should be fine. It's your call.
 
"All this hard work".

Like as if you toiled to grow each individual hair :yeahright: I'll never understand this growing cult of facial hair.

Trim it if it's long. If it's not too long, then keep it groomed. If you're really worried about it, and it's gonna make you self-conscious during the interview, then just shave it all off. It's best to be comfortable and not thinking about your appearance during an interview. You already have 23948034 things to worry about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"All this hard work".

Like as if you toiled to grow each individual hair :yeahright: I'll never understand this growing cult of facial hair.

Trim it if it's long. If it's not too long, then keep it groomed. If you're really worried about it, and it's gonna make you self-conscious during the interview, then just shave it all off. It's best to be comfortable and not thinking about your appearance during an interview. You already have 23948034 things to worry about.
It's the opposite, I'd probably be less self conscious with the beard. Seeing as I've had it for over a year. And it was hard work. Having to meticulously trim and groom it every few weeks was no easy task.
 
Just thought I'd update everyone. Ultimately, I decided to shave. This is one of the biggest sacrifices I've made and I hope schools will realize the lengths I'm willing to go for admission. Thank you all for your input and support through these trying times.
 
Just thought I'd update everyone. Ultimately, I decided to shave. This is one of the biggest sacrifices I've made and I hope schools will realize the lengths I'm willing to go for admission. Thank you all for your input and support through these trying times.

You should send an updated personal statement to document this adversity that you had to overcome.
 
I kept mine (well groomed and very short), and went 1 for 2 on interviews.

All else being equal, I'd say shave. Facial hair will indeed turn some people off. It may hurt and it won't help.
 
I think that it can help some very young looking guys who otherwise look "too young" to be taken seriously.

That's a good point, and why I actually ended up keeping mine. I was 32 when I interviewed. I recently started shaving again, and literally got carded two weeks ago buying spray glue. So... yeah.....
 
All this "hard work" and "great sacrifice".

Another Millennial clearly destined for medical greatness...
 
Serious question is serious:

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face and looks similar to this:
claudio-marchisio-Vanity-Fair-Italy.jpg

I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.
 
Last edited:
Serious question is serious:

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face:
I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.

If you actually look like him, you can do pretty much whatever you want.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Serious question is serious:

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face:
claudio-marchisio-Vanity-Fair-Italy.jpg

I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.
Try dipping the razor in rubbing alcohol before you shave with it.
 
Serious question is serious:

Whenever I fully shave my face I get acne so I usually keep around 4mm of hair on the sides with 3mm on the 'stache and chin combined with a nicely trimmed neckline sculpted in this shape which fits my face and looks similar to this:
claudio-marchisio-Vanity-Fair-Italy.jpg

I also have this hairstyle too. Too unprofessional? I think I look a lot with better with facial hair anyways, besides the acne.
Marchisio is a very handsome man 😍