Serious Traffic Violation and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobsBisonBurgers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

When I was in college I was charged with a DWI(Misdemeanor) in NY but was reduced to a DWAI(Traffic Violation) NY.

Since than I have had 0 troubles with the law and don't even drink now a days. That was my only incident.

I am going to apply to D School next summer and I was wondering if its still possible to get into Dental School with this prior offense? The offense will be four years old when apply.

I have Overall GPA of 3.5, Science GPA 3.46. Have worked with homeless populations and elderly since graduating college.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah of course it's still possible, just be very transparent about it on your application. Own it, don't try to hide it!

Reactions: 1 user
Can you get it expunged?
Edit: just saw this is only a traffic violation. You don't have to worry :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to report traffic violations? Get a report of your record and see if the previous charge is still there

I can not get expunged:(. I was hoping since it will be four years since the incident that it and no other trouble would help my case.

If there is a section on your application for non-academic related offenses, then you must report it.

I had to report my traffic misdemeanor on my application for licensure and had no issues. Don't try and hide it.

I'm pretty sure there are cases where even if something was expunged, you are still obligated to disclose it.

If that was your one and only incident, then I would expect schools to maybe ask you about it, but seeing you answer "yes" to that question shouldn't automatically break your chances. Make sure you explain what happened and what you learned from it; don't just make excuses for why it happened.

The application will ask if you have ever been charged or convicted of any misdemeanors (or felonies), which you will have to disclose and provide a brief explanation. It will help you that it was dropped to a traffic infraction and happened 4 years ago, so it will likely not hurt your chances too much. It should not stop you from entering dental school.

You will get a background check after acceptance anyway so it's better not to hide anything now

Thanks everyone for words of wisdom!

Basically don't hide it, be upfront and explain growth/what I learned from the experience.

Just a word of thought...I've read (and confirmed with an attorney I've used in the past) that expunged records still show up in background checks required for individuals seeking medical liscensure after professional school. Save the $300 and disclose it.

EXTREME EXAMPLE: an individual who has a felony for assaulting a child and had that infarction expunged would not be in the clear when they actually applied for licensure. And such an individual should never be allowed to be a healthcare professional, i.e., I absolutely disavow any such behavior.

Let me reiterate. If the school asked if you were CHARGED/ARRESTED for anything you must disclose it. If they do not ask for any charges/arrests, only convictions of misdemeanors/felonies, then you don't have to say anything (by law).

Also just an FYI, some states have laws that forbid schools/employers from asking if you have ever been charged/arrested. Illinois is one of those states.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

When I was in college I was charged with a DWI(Misdemeanor) in NY but was reduced to a DWAI(Traffic Violation) NY.

Since than I have had 0 troubles with the law and don't even drink now a days. That was my only incident.

I am going to apply to D School next summer and I was wondering if its still possible to get into Dental School with this prior offense? The offense will be four years old when apply.

I have Overall GPA of 3.5, Science GPA 3.46. Have worked with homeless populations and elderly since graduating college.
I seriously doubt you have to report a traffic violation on your application. Misdemeanors, yeah, of course, but traffic violations?

Edit: I just saw the ry_guy_chi's reply. Disregard mine.

Even though the charge was dropped to a traffic violation, if you were arrested for the misdemeanor and processed, you are IN THE SYSTEM and cannot get out. Disclose.