Serious Traffic Violation and DO School, Thanks for any help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habit1habit2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I plan on applying to mostly DO’s schools and a few MD’s.

I have Overall GPA of 3.5, Science GPA 3.54. Taking the MCAT in a few months hoping to apply in June.

100 hrs of shadowing

1,000 hrs of working as medication tech in assisted living

Currently employed by a faith organization working in hunger relief and homeless outreach.

When I was in college I was charged with a DWI(Misdemeanor) in NY but was reduced to a DWAI(Traffic Violation) NY.

Since than I have had 0 troubles with the law and don't even drink now a days. That was my only incident.

I am going to apply to school next summer and I was wondering if its still possible to get into an MD or DO program with this prior offense? The offense will be four years old when apply.

Do you think I have good chance of getting into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Have a friend that got into a DO school with a DUI. This person was the definition of a reinvention applicant (4.0 postbacc and basically retook pre-reqs). Its an obstacle but your dream is still possible.

Can't give you a specific school list without an MCAT but regardless of MCAT score you are going to have to apply broadly (at least >20). Your past is really polarizing with many admissions committees. Some will understand and some will instantly throw your app in the trash.

Clinical rotations at some schools can get tricky. VA Hospitals background check is notoriously in-depth.

Best advice I can give you is own up to your mistakes, focus on what you've done to learn from your mistakes and more importantly become a better person from it. Don't be a victim.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine as long as you explain it, and own it.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I plan on applying to mostly DO’s schools and a few MD’s.

I have Overall GPA of 3.5, Science GPA 3.54. Taking the MCAT in a few months hoping to apply in June.

100 hrs of shadowing

Currently employed by a faith organization working in hunger relief and homeless outreach.

When I was in college I was charged with a DWI(Misdemeanor) in NY but was reduced to a DWAI(Traffic Violation) NY.

Since than I have had 0 troubles with the law and don't even drink now a days. That was my only incident.

I am going to apply to school next summer and I was wondering if its still possible to get into an MD or DO program with this prior offense? The offense will be four years old when apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

100 hrs of shadowing

Dean of ACOM has had a DUI. He'd probably understand if you sent an app there lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,

I just received a DWI this past Saturday. I have not have my court date yet. I have already sent out all of my secondary applications, and even have an interview scheduled in two weeks for LECOM.

Needless to say this is one of lowest points in my life. I am currently working as an RN.

Does anyone have any other suggestions at this point? Unfortunately, since I have already applied, there will not be a lot of time in between the DWI and my applications.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I just received a DWI this past Saturday. I have not have my court date yet. I have already sent out all of my secondary applications, and even have an interview scheduled in two weeks for LECOM.

Needless to say this is one of lowest points in my life. I am currently working as an RN.

Does anyone have any other suggestions at this point? Unfortunately, since I have already applied, there will not be a lot of time in between the DWI and my applications.

Thanks.
I don't have any experience with this but I am assuming you would need to be very open about this and explain the whole situation to them.

I don't have any experience with this but I am assuming you would need to be very open about this and explain the whole situation to them.
Yes, I plan on being very matter of fact and truthful during interviews. I’m just hoping this mistake doesn’t define me as an applicant.

Thanks for the response.