Seriously lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexa356

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

I'm a psychology major, just finished up my second year.
My GPA is f+cked up, lots of stress and lost parts of my family.
LAst summer that I spent in Europe my GF died, that's why I left
country and went overseas, my mind wasn't really set on studying at that time.
I'm originally from Europe and study in Canada, so
there was a language barrier at first and lots of financial issues,
noone of my fam lives there, it's just me.
I was actually on probation and almost got kicked out due to bad grades.

So my question is, should I, or can I even start fresh on a Canadian university.
Or should I try to get my GPA up in the next 2 (3?) years at my University?
I absolutely want to go for medicine, it's my dream and i don't want to give it
up just because of my first 2 years. I was offered a spot for medicine
here in Europe, but I want to go back to North America, speaking
a different language is a good therapy sometimes...

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

They're going to ask for ALL your post-highschool grades on AMCAS.

First, keep in mind that med school will NOT be therapy, regardless of the language. Many people have been in your exact spot, and I people similar things.

What you need right now is a turning point. A spot to say "everything that came before now was bad and immature, and everything from here on out is going to provide definitive proof that I can succeed as a medical student." You can't just say it though, you have to show it. Trying to salvage an undergraduate GPA is usually tough. It's actually easier to just hit up grad school and start with a fresh GPA. Some grad schools afford you the opportunity to take med school classes, as apart from or with med students. You should jump at those, and demolish them. This is the way to prove you have what it takes to succeed in an academically rigorous setting, because that is what every admissions committee is going to be wondering.

Keep in mind this could take a few years and tens of thousands of dollars to get into a US MD program. If you have a spot to become a doctor there, I'm unsure why you wouldn't just take it instead of fighting upstream to get back here under the vague reference of "speaking
a different language is a good therapy." You may want to elaborate on that.