seriously...need your thoughts..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hjcp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to start my DDS program this year.
Already got my acceptance letter.
But then, last week, I found out that I am pregnant ....
(of course, it wasn't planned....)
Expecting due date is the beginning of Nov. this year..
which means...I will deliver during the FIRST semester of DDS program..
Do you guys think this is possible?
Has anyone done this during school?
(I already called if I can defer...they say NO. They said they similar cases before...so don't worry about too much to deliever during the semester.)
What should I do? :(
(by the ways, the school that I will be attending is USC)

Members don't see this ad.

Dang... best of luck :xf:

I'm sure if you got in this year you could (if your decided) decline your acceptance and reapply, taking the year off to begin this journey. Do you have family in SoCal to help you care for the child while you go through school?? Like I said though, best of luck :love:

I am trying to start my DDS program this year.
Already got my acceptance letter.
But then, last week, I found out that I am pregnant ....
(of course, it wasn't planned....)
Expecting due date is the beginning of Nov. this year..
which means...I will deliver during the FIRST semester of DDS program..
Do you guys think this is possible?
Has anyone done this during school?
(I already called if I can defer...they say NO. They said they similar cases before...so don't worry about too much to deliever during the semester.)
What should I do? :(
(by the ways, the school that I will be attending is USC)
I think you can do it.But you will need help.I'm pregnant right now and will start my DDS program when my baby is 5 weeks.I'm looking for a live-in nanny.I'm going to NYU and I defering is not an option too.I am a bit worried but I believe everything will work out fine.I have friends who have been pregnant and had babies while in dental school and have beautiful lives and children today.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. USC students during interview told me their first year is relatively slow-paced. They said they had time to kill.
2. USC may be going curriculum change with new dean (not sure about this)

I'd find those who are in their first year and talk about the possibility. There are many factors--are you alone or do you have family nearby, trying to specializing or just GP, financial support...etc etc. Find out as much as possible before deciding. BL!

As long as you have some (reliable) help with the baby you can totally do it. One of my friends got pregnant in the 3rd year (she's at USC as well) and managed the classes, clinic and baby.

Good luck.

Thanks, guys.
I am a bit relieved now...
Well, I have a husband who is graduating this May..and a sister-in-law who is promised to babisit as a full time...So, I don't worry too much about taking care of the baby.
I was just wondering if it is even possible to deliver during the semester ....
bc I will need at least a month or 6 weeks for recovery.........

Anything is possible if you work hard. However, in case you wanna take it easy on yourself, abortion might be an option.

Anything is possible if you work hard. However, in case you wanna take it easy on yourself, abortion might be an option.

yikes!

OP - tough situation, but you could take this as a positive. most people put off having kids until after school, in which case your career may need to be put on hold for a while. if you have the child during 1st semester of DS, by the time you graduate and get a job, this kid would be ready for preschool/kindergarten.

at least you have a husband that can support you, and a family member willing to help out - more than some people can say. good luck:)

Thanks, guys.
I am a bit relieved now...
Well, I have a husband who is graduating this May..and a sister-in-law who is promised to babisit as a full time...So, I don't worry too much about taking care of the baby.
I was just wondering if it is even possible to deliver during the semester ....
bc I will need at least a month or 6 weeks for recovery.........

I dont believe this is necessarily true. My wife delivered twins and was mobile after 1 or 2 days. Your "recovery" mostly depends on how soon you are willing to leave your child...although the fact that you wont be getting much sleep for the first few months will make it difficult no matter what. Good luck!

Wowzers!?!?!?!

OP: I know you feel pressure thinking about missing classes, exams etc. I think the best thing to do is to discuss with USC the fact that you are pregnant and go over some things that concern you and see what they have to say about it. I guarantee this is not the first or the last time this will happen to an incoming first year at USC. MOST dental schools are very sympathetic with situations like these and will likely try to help you through the process with tutors, makeup exam dates, etc. If they look at you like you have 8 heads, maybe USC isn't the right place for you in the first place. This is life and things happen when we least expect them to, time to embrace it as a gift at a tough time and make it work as best as possible. It IS possible to have children and raise them successfully while in dental school!!!!

We had a girl have a baby first year. And then she had another one this year! She has a nanny though.

Yes, you can have a baby while in the first year. We had at least one student do this. As long as you don't want to be a gunner and don't mind your grades suffering a bit, you should be fine. If you are expecting a complicated pregnancy, I would decline and reapply. Also, do NOT plan to take off more than a few days after the birth. You will probably get way too far behind - although this depends on the exam schedule at USC. The girl in my class was back to school in about a week and actually had to bring her newborn to a final exam (our professor ended up holding him when he started squirming).

Yes, you can have a baby while in the first year. We had at least one student do this. As long as you don't want to be a gunner and don't mind your grades suffering a bit, you should be fine. If you are expecting a complicated pregnancy, I would decline and reapply. Also, do NOT plan to take off more than a few days after the birth. You will probably get way too far behind - although this depends on the exam schedule at USC. The girl in my class was back to school in about a week and actually had to bring her newborn to a final exam (our professor ended up holding him when he started squirming).

lol dang. Deadbeat daddy ftl

...said the kid who still thinks toilet paper jokes are funny enough to make avatars out of.

...said the dude who thinks my avatar is important enough to dedicate an entire post to.

...Said the rational kid with whom 70% of the rest of Americans, who are prochoice would agree.

The OP is in her second month of pregnancy, and abortion is "an option". Is this really hard to comprehend?

Keep going, man. My goal was demonstrate how little credibility you have to be suggesting something like an abortion, but I'm happy to let you take over if you want.

Personally, I find my avatar quite amusing. But then again, what does my sense of humor have to anything to do with my credibility? I wasn't even suggesting abortion per se, I was simply stating that it's a viable option.

:hijacked:

Alright, back on track peoples!

To the OP-
If there is any semester of any school you want this to happen to, it is most likely your first semester of USC. Here will most likely be your schedule:

Monday - 4 hours of case (8-noon or 2 - 5) which most of the time will finish early.
Tuesday - 4 hours in the sim lab
Wednesday - Again, 4 hours of case (8-noon or 2 - 5) which most of the time will finish early.
Thursday - mostly empty, but a few rotations throughout the semester that normally don't last more than an hour or two.
Friday- 4 hours of case (8-noon or 2 - 5) which most of the time will finish early.

Although case is mandatory, it doesn't fill up a lot of the week. A lot of time is given for students to go home (or to the library) to construct their learning needs. We only have one midterms week, and one finals week per semester so you shouldn't have to worry about missing tests unless you deliver close to one of these weeks.

Wow. Thanks for everyone's input.
I just moved into a new place so didn't have an internet connection until today.

Well…..abortion is not an option to me…
Over the weekend, I talked w/ my husband and other family members, and
They all agreed to help me out as much as they can.
SO~I decided to attend….
Thank you for your input and supports.
Especially, Hysteria24~!
I really wanted to know the first semester's schedule..and you certainly were a big help!
Thanks!!