seriously what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted31120

GPA 3.4
science 3.2
DAT 20/17

what are my chances, i have heard some conflicting views on what dental schools look for in terms of GPA and DAT scores, and honestly i am lost..

help
all thoughts welcomed, probably can't hurt now!

Members don't see this ad.

Those stats are at, or a little below, the national average for *accepted* applicants. You are above the *applicant pool* in terms of your DAT score. Your GPA is probably right at, or a little above, average for the *applicant pool*.

Therefore, you have nothing to worry about in terms of getting an interview. Most of the time, interview invites are purely objective based and depend on your stats only. What will set you apart will be your interview, extra curr's, personal statement, etc.

But again, it also depends on which schools you applied to. Some schools will knock your door down with those stats. Some simply will not.

So I guess to answer your question, Yes you have a great chance at getting an interview.

No one here can tell you your chances of getting accepted. That depends on so many variables that cannot be assessed over the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Critter hit it right on the head. Don't worry about your low PAT score. Your DAT score of 20 is a great score to carry with you.

Your 3.4 GPA is good, although the science of 3.2 may be a little on the low side.

Depending on where you apply, I'm sure you'll get plenty of interviews, and unless you are like talking to a wall, I'm sure you'll find plenty of acceptances waiting for you also.

Hi Critterbug,
Have you posted your stats anywhere?
May be I missed the link.

if the rest of your scores are 19 or 20, with a gpa of 3.4 you will be in at some school.

3.4 is awsome even though its not 3.9. come on guys, i know he will be ok. don't discourage him.

I don't think anyone is discouraging him/her at all. I just think it is really hard to tell based on objective stats alone. All that can be done is to take our knowledge of what we know about the averages, and tell Dool where he/she stands in relation.

Everyone has heard the story of the 4.0 GPA 20/20 DAT that didnt get accepted. AND, everyone has heard the story about the 2.7 GPA 20/20 DAT that did.

That should be proof enough that there is no certainty in this application process. If it were me, and I was asking for advice, I surely wouldn't want anyone blowing smoke up my azz.

I agree with you. The stats are great. But I am not gonna sit here and write whether or not I think he/she will get accepted based on #'s alone.

I wish you the best Dool, and you will certainly get your foot in the door with those stats.

Oh yea, and welcome to SDN :clap:

thank you guys i appreciate all the input.

I guess at the end of the day its still 50/50

salem 7 thanks !

If you apply to the right schools you can make your chances MUCH better than 50/50.

Rules of thumb:

1) ALWAYS apply to the state-funded schools in the state you live in.

2) AVOID state-funded schools in other states (except those state schools with a "national" focus like UMich or those that participate in a regional program if your state has no dental schools).

3) ALWAYS apply to a few private schools to round out your application.

Good luck.