stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello All-

I've recently began reading Step 2 Secrets, and I can't help but find that the material is somewhat basic. Really, is all that you need to know for step 2 contained in this book? Any other suggestions besides UWorld for supplementation to my studying? What is the average study time for step 2 CK? What about CS? I am currently a 3rd year, and will be finishing up my cores by the end of July. When should I take it? I was planning on taking it while on my peds rotation (which is my second to last core, psych is my last). Good idea? Would I have enough time to study while doing my surgery rotation?

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I read through Crush Step 2, which is written by the same author of Secrets and has similar content, while preparing for the exam. I thought the material was basic as well. I also read First Aid for Step 2 CK, which I thought was a more comprehensive and complete review. I would use Crush/Secrets for a quick review, but First Aid to get to the meat of things. Also, I would recommend taking all the cores before attempting the exam, so that you're not handicapping yourself in the pedi and psych portions of the exam. Furthermore, you don't want to take away time from actually learning pedi well enough. I definitely think you'd want time to sleep and eat during surgery, which is all the time you'll be left for after working. I took about 3.5 weeks to study, but was working part time (3 half days a week.) I think you should be able to get away with 2 weeks full time (assuming you already know most of the material from rotations and just need a review,) or 4 weeks on an easy rotation, i.e 8-5 no weekends and without excess studying. Why not just take two weeks after psych to study for the thing without distractions and with the benefit of having already studied all the material once? Really there's no hurry to take it. Most wait till fall of 4th year anyway.

Last edited:

stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I read through Crush Step 2, which is written by the same author of Secrets and has similar content, while preparing for the exam. I thought the material was basic as well. I also read First Aid for Step 2 CK, which I thought was a more comprehensive and complete review. I would use Crush/Secrets for a quick review, but First Aid to get to the meat of things. Also, I would recommend taking all the cores before attempting the exam, so that you're not handicapping yourself in the pedi and psych portions of the exam. Furthermore, you don't want to take away time from actually learning pedi well enough. I definitely think you'd want time to sleep and eat during surgery, which is all the time you'll be left for after working. I took about 3.5 weeks to study, but was working part time (3 half days a week.) I think you should be able to get away with 2 weeks full time (assuming you already know most of the material from rotations and just need a review,) or 4 weeks on an easy rotation, i.e 8-5 no weekends and without excess studying. Why not just take two weeks after psych to study for the thing without distractions and with the benefit of having already studied all the material once? Really there's no hurry to take it. Most wait till fall of 4th year anyway.

Thanks for your input. The thing is, I'm an Caribbean student doing clinicals. I started in july and had to leave my rotation for a month due to the hurricane evacuation in august. Now, I have to stay an extra month to make up for my missed time. I want to have my applications for residency out on the day they being taking applications. I would like to have my step 2 scores prior to applying. I've seen alot of other students from my school who wait a few weeks to send their applications, and receive no interviews.
Should I try do take it during psych?

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
With the new software, they seem to be turning around scores in 2.5 weeks or so. I don't know if that timeframe applies to peak periods like July, but if it does, you could take it toward the end of psych or even two weeks after psych and still get the scores back right around Sept 1 which is when ERAS allows you to submit your application.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.