Sertraline and Fluoxetine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dartmouth2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a patient be given both at the same time? We had someone come into clinic recently who is on both. I meant to ask my preceptor on this, but I was wondering what the SDN consensus was.

Members don't see this ad.

Can a patient be given both at the same time? We had someone come into clinic recently who is on both. I meant to ask my preceptor on this, but I was wondering what the SDN consensus was.

Well, apparently they can be.

The only reason to be on two SSRIs is if you're cross-tapering from one to the other. And even that isn't a very good reason.

Agree with BP - only reason to do this is a cross taper. And cross-taper when one of the meds is prozac isn't even necessary - maybe do it for 3-5 days, but even that isn't needed).

Probably an oversight.

Members don't see this ad :)

you see so much garbage out there that anything is possible. And it's not really likely to be dangerous or anything. But I don't see any indication for it, and it seems like sloppy practice. Then again I see tons of patients on regimens from fellow psychiatrists that don't appear to make any sense, so I'm not sure what 'consensus' really is....

I love to use ssri's and tricyclics together otoh.

I generally don't even cross taper from SSRI to SSRI or from SSRI to SNRI. I figure a ballpark equivalent dose, undershoot it a bit, and go right from one to the other. I've never had any problems doing this.