SES Disadvantaged: N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SquirrelSayWhat

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
“SES Disadvantaged: N/A”

This is how my AMCAS application has been categorized. Because both of my parents are deceased, AMCAS did not generate an EO designation for me. I understand that “N/A” does not technically mean AMCAS determined I was not disadvantaged. Still, I am concerned about how schools interpret or filter this designation.

I grew up in a household earning less than $25,000 a year and relied on government assistance. My childhood was also affected by parental addiction, neglect, and the loss of both parents. No one talked to me about going to college and certainly not how to succeed once there. I have explained the impact of those circumstances throughout my primary and secondary applications, along with the growth that came from surviving them.

My concern is that some schools reportedly place applicants designated EO-1 into a separate group for additional holistic review. When an applicant receives N/A because their parents are deceased, are they considered for that same level of contextual review? Or would an automated filter looking specifically for EO-1 fail to capture applicants in circumstances like mine?

I understand that the EO indicator is not supposed to function as a standalone measure. However, if it determines which applications receive a more contextual review before a person meaningfully examines the file, then in practice it does become one.

I would appreciate input from adcom members or anyone familiar with how schools handle applicants whose SES indicator is N/A despite documented childhood poverty and significant socioeconomic disadvantage.
 
What topic did you cover in Other Impactful Experiences? Also, are you sharing this information in any blank space open-prompt essays? You supplied requested information about family income or getting government assistance?
Hello, thank you for responding! Yes, I reported my family income and reliance on government assistance in the childhood information section of my primary application.

My Other Impactful Experiences essay discusses losing my parents and the instability that followed. I focused on how those experiences affected my development and ultimately contributed to my decision to pursue medicine.

In my secondary essays, I have explained how specific parts of my upbringing influence the way I approach people and patients. For example, growing up around addiction taught me to listen carefully without judgment and to recognize that there is often more behind someone’s circumstances than what is immediately visible.

For open-ended prompts, I have gone further into the personal lessons I had to learn, then connected those lessons to each school’s mission and the programs I would pursue there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The information is there. My school (can't speak for others) will have someone put eyeballs on your application for at least 15-30 minutes. They'll be able to put the story together without the classification from AMCAS which, in my experience, anyway, is more useful for population-level analysis of applicants and students rather than a way to classify individuals.
 
The information is there. My school (can't speak for others) will have someone put eyeballs on your application for at least 15-30 minutes. They'll be able to put the story together without the classification from AMCAS which, in my experience, anyway, is more useful for population-level analysis of applicants and students rather than a way to classify individuals.
Truly, thank you for the peace of mind!
 
I concur with @LizzyM . Admissions offices must measure and be accountable for their (committee's) decisions, so the EO-1 is a more important indicator to the admissions committee that they have appealed to an appropriate proportion of the pool with similar socioeconomic characteristics. We measure this because we (AMCAS) know that over half of med school applicants tend to come from the top 20% of US family incomes (EO-4/EO-5).

For over 10 years, we have been aware of the N/A designation assigned to applicants with a deceased parent/guardian. We know the shortcomings of this scale. We triangulate with other data you volunteer in your application. Don't sweat this.