Set on SMP's but don't know if my gpa will exclude me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matssundisaboss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm going into 4th year and have a gpa of a 2.9 and a 35 on the mcat. My first 2 years were ****e (2.6) but I did really well 3rd year to bring it up. My ec's are decent but I havent published anything. If I do well first semester will I have a shot at SMP's like BU or georgetown or Cinci?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm going into 4th year and have a gpa of a 2.9 and a 35 on the mcat. My first 2 years were ****e (2.6) but I did really well 3rd year to bring it up. My ec's are decent but I havent published anything. If I do well first semester will I have a shot at SMP's like BU or georgetown or Cinci?

Thanks!:)

Your MCAT will get you a look at Cincinnati, but because of the relative competitiveness of the program, I hesitate to speculate on odds. I'd say definitely apply (early and to the other SMPs as well); there were a few people in my class with similar stats (<3.0, 35+), though the caveat is that their majors/schools were generally recognized as being very difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your 35 MCAT will take you far. You should apply to BU and any other SMP without a strict cut-off. Even if there is a strict cut-off, email admissions and just ask them if they think it's unwise to apply. You have a low GPA but are clearly able to master the material, that's what SMPs are for. I think you will get in somewhere if you apply early.

I know you didn't ask, but I am in BU's SMP, I have a 3.1 GPA and a 26R MCAT if that helps you gauge yourself any.

Im in a seemingly similar situation. I got low grades first 2 years, in community college. Transferred to a UC with a 2.8 gpa. Than proceeded to do pretty well with my UC gpa after 3 quarters being 3.45 and the last 2 quarters being 3.8 with A's in hard classes like physical chemistry and biochem. I think ill be able to kick it up a notch in my senior year and try to get 4.0s every quarter. So my only university level blemish will be my subpar 1st quarter. I am averaging 36 on my practice MCATs with a range from 34-39 so I hope to pull at least a 34 on the real thing.

But its great to know that these real SMPs look at recent improvement and somewhat high MCATs.