Set on SMP's but don't know if my gpa will exclude me

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Matssundisaboss, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Matssundisaboss

Hello all, I'm going into 4th year and have a gpa of a 2.9 and a 35 on the mcat. My first 2 years were ****e (2.6) but I did really well 3rd year to bring it up. My ec's are decent but I havent published anything. If I do well first semester will I have a shot at SMP's like BU or georgetown or Cinci?

Thanks!:)

#1 Matssundisaboss, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    Matssundisaboss

Bump, I just really want to know if I have a shot at BU :(

3. QQm

QQm
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your MCAT will get you a look at Cincinnati, but because of the relative competitiveness of the program, I hesitate to speculate on odds. I'd say definitely apply (early and to the other SMPs as well); there were a few people in my class with similar stats (<3.0, 35+), though the caveat is that their majors/schools were generally recognized as being very difficult.

4. b05010445

b05010445 Atlantic Seamonster
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think your 35 MCAT will take you far. You should apply to BU and any other SMP without a strict cut-off. Even if there is a strict cut-off, email admissions and just ask them if they think it's unwise to apply. You have a low GPA but are clearly able to master the material, that's what SMPs are for. I think you will get in somewhere if you apply early.

5. bdvz

7+ Year Member

Which SMP are you in?

6. b05010445

b05010445 Atlantic Seamonster
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know you didn't ask, but I am in BU's SMP, I have a 3.1 GPA and a 26R MCAT if that helps you gauge yourself any.

7. Dr Turkelton

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  8. BilalL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im in a seemingly similar situation. I got low grades first 2 years, in community college. Transferred to a UC with a 2.8 gpa. Than proceeded to do pretty well with my UC gpa after 3 quarters being 3.45 and the last 2 quarters being 3.8 with A's in hard classes like physical chemistry and biochem. I think ill be able to kick it up a notch in my senior year and try to get 4.0s every quarter. So my only university level blemish will be my subpar 1st quarter. I am averaging 36 on my practice MCATs with a range from 34-39 so I hope to pull at least a 34 on the real thing.

But its great to know that these real SMPs look at recent improvement and somewhat high MCATs.