Setting a baseline with the DAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matty44

CAA
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my scenario....
I took Gen chem 1 and 2 back in the day (2003) and got a B and a C respectively. I also took Org 1 and got a B. Now, suffice it to say, I don't remember much from then at all. I plan on retaking gen 1 and 2 over this upcoming summer, Org 1 in the fall and Org II for the first time in the spring and taking the DAT in May. Now, for the questions.

1) If I take the DAT In May, say a week or so after my Org II final, will I still be able to apply as early as is humanly possible, or with the delay in score reporting to the schools, will I not be able to get my app in with the 1st piles of applications?

2) Is it even worthwhile to take a full length DAT test right now to gauge where I'm at, cause I know I will HORRIBLY suck at the chem sections? Or should I wait til I at least take the 2 Gen Chems this summer before I start studying?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks;)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, when I type in "Buy Topscore" or Buy DAT Achiever" into google, all that pops up are SDN threads :D. Anyone got a link to where I can go to buy the latest editions of all those great review materials?

I just typed achiever and topscore and I got both the sites to buy them on the first link.
Try again.

Okay, I guess i just needed to leave out "buy" in my search. ;) Now, back to my original questions.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer to 1st Q: I am not sure, it would be more helpful to call or email a dental school admission coordinator for an accurate answer.
Answer to 2nd Q: I am going to assume you are taking the DAT next May, and not this May. If you are, there's no point in take a full length test at this point imo. You may take one to use it as a motivation, but if you are smart, you would save those full length tests until when you are actually prepared.

Yeah, next May, and that's what I was kind of leaning towards anyways. Besides, I looked into getting topscore last night and they say that it expires after 7 months, so if I got it now I couldn't take a test after November. So....with that in mind, am I crazy to even be thinking about starting to review (a year in advance), or should I just wait til after Christmas when I have Gen I and II and Org I under my belt?

your situation is much different from mine. For me, I finished all the pre-req before the 3rd year summer, so i could study for the DAT during the summer between 3rd and 4th year and take it at the end of the summer. I wanted to get over with the DAT well before I applied since I will have to write the personal statement and filling out the app. Anyway, for your situation, you will have to study for the DAT AND work on the personal statement during school year.
Going back to your question, it's never too early to start studying for DAT esp. if you got the time. Since you got a long way til you take your test, you may want to start preparing for subjects that do not require much memorization such as PAT, RC, and QR. And as you approach near the test date, you will want to start studying for bio and such. I think it will be tough for you to stay on top of school, while studying for DAT, personal statement, and the app itself although it should be doable.