Setting change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohyesyoudo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a fairly new grad (<4 years). Since graduation, I have worked in OP settings. I was laid off in March due to Covid-19. I have been offered to return to an "hourly" position, but have not yet been called back (been about 3 weeks since hourly offer). My current/previous location was about 45 to 50 min from my home, so I am considering new settings to be a bit closer to home. Realizing Covid-19 is awful and anything can change, I was considering Home Health PT or a Home Outpatient billing PT type set up. In an old forum post, someone mentioned HH was scam or shady (can't remember the exact wording) and another that it wasn't the best for new grads. Curious to get people's feedback on a HH or home based OP company. What do you like, not like, what do you wish you had known before you started working there? Are you better off with a private HH or one hospital based? I like OP and my company did well with scheduling (real one on one with approx 15 min overlap with some 1/2 hr and some 45 min appts, but I know a lot of OP companies don't offer than freedom. I like the idea of being able to schedule my own hours and not seeing 12-16 patients a day. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally love home health. After working 2.5 years in OP, I realized it was not a good fit for me and I switched to HH. I've been a PT for 5 years now and was super burnt out with OP.

A few things with HH: 1) documentation is extensive, so brace yourself. However, once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. 2) I strongly recommend working for a non-profit. The for-profit agencies are almost as bad as working for an OP mill (I know, I previously worked at one and now I'm with a non-profit). 3) Patients are being sent home from hospitals quicker and sicker, so you'll see a higher level of acuity.