Setting myself up for failure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saifa

Carrion Crawler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've completed all medical school prerequisites in a (calendar) year, all at my university, and have earned an A in every one (well, A- in a molecular bio class). I believe most/all aspects of my application are good at this point and MCAT is the final variable. As of writing this thread I have not spent one day legitimately preparing for the test aside from those daily practice questions, as I have been enrolled for 18-21 credits each semester on top of working. My schedule has involved taking general chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus-based physics, two semesters of calculus, biology classes, and supporting electives concurrently. I'm in possession of Kaplan's 2015 MCAT book set and nothing else at this point. I will not have taken biochemistry prior to the test because it is unavailable at my uni campus.
My plan is to become familiar with where I need to focus my efforts subject-wise as the Spring semester progresses, focused study for the whole month of May (no working, no travelling), and test early June with hopes of entering the coming application cycle. If practice exam scores are indicative of poor performance, I will cancel the exam before taking it and commit to doing a gap year. I want to apply US MD for my first (and hopefully only) application round.

I am looking for criticism and commentary on the feasibility of this plan.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in possession of Kaplan's 2015 MCAT book set and nothing else at this point. I will not have taken biochemistry prior to the test...
Not taking biochemistry is definitely going to hurt as the new exam is heavily biochem based in both C/P and B/B sections. However, if you can get your hands on Lehninger's biochem book and search for @Roayer post on it, he has some good tips for which chapters to focus on.

You also don't list genetics. If that was covered sufficient in your biology classes you should be fine. In addition, Kaplan covers the genetics you will need.

Finally, Kaplan is insufficient in and of itself. You MUST get the AAMC materials. If you cannot afford the full bundle of all the mats, at least get the Section Banks (SBs) and the practice exams. They are critical to understanding how the AAMC tests your knowledge and thinking...

Also, would supplement the Kaplan Psych/Soc book with either TPR or Google the 100-page summary floating around out there on the internet. Pure gold!

Okay, really finally :) - watch Khan videos for the CARS pieces or anything else. They are also pure gold.

focused study for the whole month of May (no working, no travelling), and test early June.

One month is insufficient especially given the lack of biochem. Most people spend 2 - 3 months or longer, in depth studying for the exam. It's unlike any other exam you've taken and not a content review test.

If you were to take a gap year, it's not a big deal. Gap year >>>>>> poor MCAT score :)

If you were to take a gap year, it's not a big deal. Gap year >>>>>> poor MCAT score :)

Thanks for the tips!

I wholly agree with this statement. My parents do not. They've straight up told me they would be kicking me out because "you don't take time off from school,"
citing all sorts of failures of their friends and others (neither of them have a college degree). They've given me an unreasonable amount of grief every step of my education which has led me to do unreasonable things such as take on the schedules that I have despite much well-meaning advice to slow down (I changed majors/goals after graduating high school and have been cramming to graduate "on time").

Edit: Re: genetics, I would hope my exposure is adequate at this point, at least enough to study competently, given the focus of my faculty adviser/research PI whom I work with very closely.

That's their issue and it's not their future. It's yours. So own it. They don't have to suffer the consequences of a bad MCAT score, you do.

Taking the MCAT under the best of situations is critical; that comes from personal experience. If you have to move out in order to postpone and take a gap year, so be it. Find roommates, get a job, live frugally and take the MCAT when you are really ready to do so.

NOT doing so and doing poorly almost assuredly you won't get into med school first cycle, have to retake it anyway, and have a gap year anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
That's their issue and it's not their future. It's yours. So own it. They don't have to suffer the consequences of a bad MCAT score, you do.

Taking the MCAT under the best of situations is critical; that comes from personal experience. If you have to move out in order to postpone and take a gap year, so be it. Find roommates, get a job, live frugally and take the MCAT when you are really ready to do so.

NOT doing so and doing poorly almost assuredly you won't get into med school first cycle, have to retake it anyway, and have a gap year anyway.

I understand, and to clarify I have no issue with getting a job and living independently, it's just negative stress from them that I often do my best to avoid.