Setting up 4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obtuse illness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an OMS 3, and I need some advice on how to get the ball rolling on 4th year rotations. I am currently interested in family med, but I want to get at least one rotation in neuro because I've always liked the idea of it and still need to find out if it's for me or not. Anyways, no one has given me a useful answer on how to "set up these rotations myself". My school won't tell me anything but to wait. (My hub site is 5 hrs away from the school so I have minimal contact with them), but all the 4th years said they had already set theirs up by this time last year. I don't know how to gain access to the VSAS without the school, or whether that even covers osteopathic teaching hospitals. After searching for residency programs and audition rotation info online, I've tried emailing a few places (like the 4th years said to do) asking what the process is to get signed on for a rotation, but have had zero responses.

Soo..

Are there any third years at DO school who already know what they are doing next year?

Has anyone been lucky enough to have all/most 4th year rotations in the same city? (Not sure if I'll have to live out of my car/rent hotel rooms/ or what to do with my dog)

Am I jumping the gun and just need to calm down and let things happen?

FYI my school is relatively new so I think that Might be contributing to my anxiety about this process.

I'll accept any answers, reassurance, comments, questions, criticism, jokes, rants, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Your board scores will tell you quickly if neuro is for you or not LOL! Goodluck!

I dabbled in this when I was a 3rd year to set up elective FM rotations. Frankly, mid January is a bit too early. Most schools and hospital associations weren't thinking about the schedule for 4th years at this point in time.

I had better success a few months into the year, more so after the match had occurred. Places now are forming rank lists, answering last minute applicant questions and trying to wrap up the interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm a 3rd year DO student as well applying med-peds this fall. Programs aren't emailing back yet it seems. I've tried a number too and no responses yet. I think Bacchus' reply above explains why.

My core rotation site is right near my school in a major town so I am planning on doing about 7 of my 10 required 4th year rotations in my core site. The other 3 will be aways. I am just going to schedule most of my "home" rotations now (my school has a large catalog of electives to select 4th year electives & selectives) and continue waiting until I get some more feedback from these programs and schedule some away rotations later on the spring.

One thing I've noticed is that DO students applying to ENT, Ortho, Optho, Uro etc. are all doing the DO match (because it's next near impossible to match into an allopathic program in these fields as a DO) and have therefore set up most of their away/audition rotations. This is because those auditions are essentially required in the osteopathic world and they fill up like a year in advance. One guy I know had set up 6 Optho rotations as of 1 month ago!

Aways/Auditions in the allopathic world (especially in primary care) aren't usually that important for landing a residency spot. It seems that they are more useful for YOU as an applicant to feel out the program. However, if you do well, it can only help your chances of getting that spot even more.

And yes, I'd contact your school about VSAS just to find out what they do for you. My school sent out our VSAS log-ins a few weeks ago but none of the catalogs of visiting-student electives will be published at most schools until the spring. So, not much to do right now it seems except upload all the stuff they require to your account.

Thanks guys. It think that's what is going on. I just hate not knowing exactly where I'll be.

And board scores aren't a problem, yourmd.

Peace

I dabbled in this when I was a 3rd year to set up elective FM rotations. Frankly, mid January is a bit too early. Most schools and hospital associations weren't thinking about the schedule for 4th years at this point in time.

I had better success a few months into the year, more so after the match had occurred. Places now are forming rank lists, answering last minute applicant questions and trying to wrap up the interview process.

Yeah...
I still haven't received an email about selecting fourth year rotations. Even tho I already know everything I want to do...