Setting up clerkships/audtiions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDHB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a comlex level 1 score of 617 /226 on usmle. have done research - 1 publication. I know that ACGME ophtho is out of question and applying only AOA. But have not been able to get audition rotations. The only contact I had are PD's of residency programs. I emailed some and almost none got back to me. How to do you schedule these rotations if nobody gets back to you ?
Also anyone know what kind of students match into these programs ? do you have to be from the osteopathic school associated with the program or anyone has a fair shot ?
Also is it easier to get into radiology as compared to ophthalmology given there are more spots and scores count in the radiology programs
anyone ???????

For those who got into radiology, can you please comment on the possibilities of being able to get into radiology AOA and how to set up these clerkship auditions ?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a third year? If so, you have to understand that interview season is in full swing. A PD probably hasn't had time to reply to you yet.

I would call the place and ask who the program coordinator/clerkship coordinator is. Get an email address and email that person. Keep in mind it's only October. Most places may not be starting preps for next year's auditions until later in the year.

stop posting everywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a comlex level 1 score of 617 /226 on usmle. have done research - 1 publication. I know that ACGME ophtho is out of question and applying only AOA. But have not been able to get audition rotations. The only contact I had are PD's of residency programs. I emailed some and almost none got back to me. How to do you schedule these rotations if nobody gets back to you ?
Also anyone know what kind of students match into these programs ? do you have to be from the osteopathic school associated with the program or anyone has a fair shot ?
Also is it easier to get into radiology as compared to ophthalmology given there are more spots and scores count in the radiology programs
anyone ???????

For those who got into radiology, can you please comment on the possibilities of being able to get into radiology AOA and how to set up these clerkship auditions ?

Each program has different requirements for setting up an audition. Look at the website for each program (you can find those on the AOA Opportunities website). Usually you will fill out an online application, or just contact the program coordinator or the designated medical student rotation coordinator. It's almost never the PD, which is why you probably haven't heard back.

Assuming you're an OMS-III, it's good that you're starting early, but many programs will not arrange those rotations until sometime next year, so you will probably need to wait until then. If you're a fourth year, it's probably too late, but it still might be worth a shot.

There should definitely be a program coordinator who handles this. I would avoid emailing the PDs.

I didn't have any trouble setting up radiology auditions around January of the this year so you should probably wait a little while if possible.

• I recommend setting a goal of applying for and booking all of your audition rotations by Jan-March of 3rd year for most residencies (specifically: surgery, ortho, ob/gyn, neurosurg, ER, etc). You can probably get away with later dates for less competitive spots, but if you’re set on a specific residency program, book it early! If you haven’t decided on what type of residency you want to apply for yet but are considering more competitive spots, set up these audition rotations for both types of residencies you’re considering and cancel the other one once you figure it out.
  • Start contacting the program coordinators in December/January to figure out if you can set up audition rotations and how. Make this personal contact by email or phone even if it’s just to confirm instructions that are listed on their website because some websites are out of date, and program contacts may have changed.
Check out more at: http://itallbelongstoyou.com/2013/09/19/audition-sub-internship-rotation-advice/

Most away rotations with only take a 4th year. You will need to research where you want to go and then look at the site's website for contacts to start your rotations in JULY when 4th year starts. There is generally a specific rotation co-ordinator for the medical students - not the PD. The PD deals with the residents generally and does not schedule medical students. If you do an away rotation you most likely will need to arrange your own housing although some facilities do put up students. Just depends on how big the program is.