setting up EMG service in primary care office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi so I am wondering, if I want to set up a service in local primary care provider's offices to do EMG starting one afternoon a month, I have my own billing service that does my inpatient practice, how much rent is reasonable to be paying to be able to provide the service, and should it include renting the staff to help with setting up the EMG, data entry into my billing software etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Who is going to be scheduling the patients? Likely you will need to have at least a part time staffer to schedule/data entry etc. Unless you are going to use the primary care doc's staff. In that case, you'd have to build their time into your monthly rent.

Rent is based on local factors. If they charge you too little (like $5/month or something stupid like that) you could be accused of getting a kickback.

Why not just do your EMG's at your primary location (your spine clinic)?

Who is going to be scheduling the patients? Likely you will need to have at least a part time staffer to schedule/data entry etc. Unless you are going to use the primary care doc's staff. In that case, you'd have to build their time into your monthly rent.

Rent is based on local factors. If they charge you too little (like $5/month or something stupid like that) you could be accused of getting a kickback.

Why not just do your EMG's at your primary location (your spine clinic)?
because I have a 1 hour commute to where my current practice is located (spine clinic, where I pay rent to cover office space, staff, and they charge % collections for doing my billing), I am trying to build a local referral base closer to where I live in as cost effective low overhead way as possible, I figure if I find some local primary care providers, maybe start with one afternoon a month at each place and offer an EMG service, but pay rent to cover office space and rent their staff to do the scheduling and data entry into my billing software, I could begin to build a referral base and at some point open a local office, as opposed to taking a giant financial leap right off the bat and renting office space, hiring staff, etc and hoping it works out,

There used to be a small facility fee for emgs done in certain settings. Not certain if still able to be billed. You could look at them taking the fscility fee.