Setting up third year clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKP

Black Cloud
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going into general surgery, possibly ENT, and would like to find out what a good third year clerkship schedule would look like. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking about the best order in which to do your clerkships? I assume you have the same basic 3rd year Cores to do that everyone else does. There are heaps of threads on this very topic, a search will yield them for you.

In a nutshell, most will recommend you don't do your favored rotation first or last - too early you risk looking "green" (and not impressing faculty), too late you may find out you don't like it after all. I did my OB-Gyn, IM, Gen Surg, Peds and FP. This order worked well for me - gave me some OR experience and general medicine under my belt before starting on Surg (which I assumed I'd HATE).

I don't think that the order of 3rd yr clerkships really matter that much. During your 3rd yr, attendings don't often pay attention to you (or even learn your name) unless you make it clear that you want to go into their field. Most of your letters of rec will likey come from 4th year sub-I's that you schedule EARLY.

I scheduled surgery during the last block of my 3rd yr because I knew that I wanted to be a real doctor, and not a glorified technician :). On the first day of the rotation, I realized that everything I thought I knew about surgery was misconception. By the end of the rotation, I knew that I wouldn't be happy doing anything else.

I had to completely rearrange my 4th year schedule, but had no problem getting great letters after completing 2 surgery rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i were you, i would do your surgery rotation first, then if you know that is really what you want to do, then do some surgery research and establish a good mentor. then you will have a strong background and can do some audition surgery rotations. also, do OB/GYN early so you can get that out of the way - that was my roughest rotation so far (most malignant group of residents).