Severe OCD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was actually diagnosed with this condition about a year ago, and still have it. I'm signed up for the HPSP scholarship, obviously I never put down that I had the condition - my recruiter told me just to not put it down and that it wouldn't be a problem, they would never do a psychological background check on me. If they ever found out that I was diagnosed with this condition or that I had this condition, would that have an effect on my scholarship?

Also, if I were to fail or drop out of med school what effect would that have on the scholarship? If you've seen my other post, you know that I have not taken any money from them as of yet. Would I still be obligated to serve some time in the army? I am considering withdrawing for this year because frankly I don't feel that I'm ready for this yet.

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually diagnosed with this condition about a year ago, and still have it. I'm signed up for the HPSP scholarship, obviously I never put down that I had the condition - my recruiter told me just to not put it down and that it wouldn't be a problem, they would never do a psychological background check on me. If they ever found out that I was diagnosed with this condition or that I had this condition, would that have an effect on my scholarship?

Any helpful input is appreciated.

I think it depends on just HOW severe the OCD disorder is. A severe OCD could easily be inconsistent with military service and perhaps should have disqualified you. They can, and should, take your scholarship back (i.e. not give you further money and require repayment of money already received) if they find out the application was deliberately evasive, dishonest or fraudulent.

The military takes the "honor" part of "Duty, Honor, Country" very seriously. "But my recruiter told me" is a joke in the military. If you want to be an officer in the military, let's do the right thing.

Pharmwannab- The military needs doctors pretty badly and they seem to be giving out all kinds of waivers for things. With physician retention, medical need, and unused scholarships all being what they are, if the military won't waive it, there's probably a pretty good reason.

Stop your paperwork, let them know you were mislead about how to fill it out. Resubmit, telling the truth about your OCD diagnosis and treatment. If they waive it, you'll never have to worry about it again. If you don't, and take the scholarship, and it flares up to the point of getting noticed and cause them to start separating you from service, I can't imagine it would be too hard to dig through insurance records to find if you ever had psych treatment. Then I'd imagine you'd be in a world of hurt.

Honesty is the best policy in general in life, even when there's no carrot. The military makes doing the right thing easier, because there's a real heavy stick if you don't.

I agree with the above posts. In my earlier response to your similar thread, I encouraged you to get it out in the open, and share your guidance from your recruiter so appropriate correction can be directed that way. No one is going to waste any effort trying to somehow punish you especially as you haven't even started medical school. If deciding to start medical school this year is an existential crisis, image a one year trip to Iraq.