Severe red green colorblindness, can I still do derm?

Started by TexasMed22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasMed22

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in dermatology, I have pretty severe red green colorblindness however. Will this stop me from becoming a dermatologist?
 
No it will not but I wouldn’t tell anyone until you are in residency. No one really expects you to make anything but basic diagnoses on away rotations it’s more about being a normal person and showing basic knowledge. I can’t speak to how it would affect you diagnostic ability but I know of a mohs surgeon who I suspect is colorblind. It may make diagnosing certain rashes as more difficult but derm is quite broad so you could find your niche if this was an issue. I wouldn’t use it as a “talking point” since I doubt programs will see it as a positive thing on an application.