Sex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elie kenjoe

Reaction score
Sexy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello im an IMG and i was wondering what residency is like in the US, ive read that shift can last to up to 30 hours something i dont think i can handle physically and daily work hours is something between 10 to 12 hours. im confused should i take the usmle exams or plab? residents in the uk work 8 hours a day and have 2 days a week off

That seems like a cush schedule. 2 days off a week? how nice.

hello im an IMG and i was wondering what residency is like in the US, ive read that shift can last to up to 30 hours something i dont think i can handle physically and daily work hours is something between 10 to 12 hours. im confused should i take the usmle exams or plab? residents in the uk work 8 hours a day and have 2 days a week off

Do you want to be a consultant or do you want 2 days off a week? There are no shortcuts in life, anywhere in the world. In the UK (and Australia), life seems cush until you get onto a speciality training programme and then all bets are off. You will work hard. Plus, the training pipeline is impacted and prolonged. In the US, once you get into a residency, you have an extremely high chance of finishing and finishing quickly.

I have not worked in the UK, but I have worked with a lot of doctors fleeing the NHS. There is a lot of selection bias, but I think it's fair to say the NHS is under tremendous strain and is very busy.

Ultimately, pick where you want to live first and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user