eye4eye

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status
Just wondering how to organize things a little bit! I mean if you match in some ophtha program this year,will you start residency from next year after completing prelim or TY? What if some one matches in Ophthal,but can not find some prelim or Ty program? And what if you don't match in Ophthal after completing intern year? Sorry for messing things this far.Simply I want to know if i want to start 2007 ophtha residency,what should be my plan,considering i'm an img?thanks for any input

knightrider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
hi eye4eye,
to answer your questions:
1. To become an ophthalmologist you will participate in 2 seperate matches. The SF match for ophtho and the ERAS/AAMC match for prelim/ty.
2. The ophthalmology match takes place early so you will know whether you matched in ophtho before you know about prelim/ty. Chances are if you match in ophtho you will match in prelim/ty. If you don't match in ophtho you should have a plan, meaning either you should think of things you can do to to match next year in ophtho, or you should consider going into another field like medicine.
3. If you apply and don't get ophtho and you want to do medicine, you can apply to both matches concurrently. If you want to only do ophtho don't do that.
4. Right now you should maybe visit the sfmatch.org website and look at the timeline for the ophtho application. Students at my med school have started woring on their personal statement and setting up their away rotations.

OP
eye4eye

eye4eye

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status
really appreciate it. i was completely lost in jargons of match.started my research hoping to be out of my miseries soon.

jhstuck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Status
It's a little hectic and I ended up matching Ophtho with the military (this is my roomie's screen name by the way). So that was bad because I had to do three matches and drop out of 2 matches after I interviewed and everything. But you're way ahead of the timeline. You don't really have to start doing anything until like June when they come out with the official application materials. Right now you just pay $100 and register with the SF match. The only important thing now is to figure out where you want to set up externships to get them interested in you. Anyways, good luck!

demspawn

Pissed FMG
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hello all... just picking up the thread for a q.

If you have registered already with the SFMatch (back in june 2004 for the Jan 2005 match) and did not match, do you have to reregister with the match or not?

Thanx

D

JMK2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
demspawn said:
Hello all... just picking up the thread for a q.

If you have registered already with the SFMatch (back in june 2004 for the Jan 2005 match) and did not match, do you have to reregister with the match or not?

Thanx

D
Not definite... but I would assume so.