sGPA: 3.72 cGPA 3.87 MCAT: 22 What are my chances of getting into DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.72 cGPA 3.87 MCAT: 22

I just got my MCAT score back today and it looks like I need to retake the MCAT. I have already applied and will be submitting some of my secondary applications to AZCOM, ATSTILL MESA, UA PHX, UA TUCSON, and Western in CA.

Please let me know what my chances are- any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my MCAT score back today and it looks like I need to retake the MCAT. I have already applied and will be submitting some of my secondary applications to AZCOM, ATSTILL MESA, UA PHX, UA TUCSON, and Western in CA.

do not apply to any of those except for SOMA. I would recommend applying to these DO schools as well: LMU, CUSOM, ACOM, MUCOM, LUCOM, VCOM-VC, VCOM-CC, KCOM, WVSOM, KYCOM, and KCUMB.

do not apply to any of those except for SOMA. I would recommend applying to these DO schools as well: LMU, CUSOM, ACOM, MUCOM, LUCOM, VCOM-VC, VCOM-CC, KCOM, WVSOM, KYCOM, and KCUMB.

I second this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this.

Ill look into those schools listed. I already have secondary applications for all the az schools and the Vcom schools. Is my 22 mcat score going to kill my application though?

I would retake the MCAT if I was in your position.

I would retake the MCAT if I was in your position.

I plan on retaking. However i had already applied this year before i got my mcat scores so im curious if i have a chance and should spend money on the secondary applications or just cut my losses.

I don't personally know anyone that got into a DO school with below a 24. I think you could save the money and the time of secondaries, study way hard, rock the MCAT and get tons of interviews/acceptances next year. The application process is long and draining. I think you want to avoid going through it, feeling frustrated and having that affect your new MCAT score. Good luck!

I plan on retaking. However i had already applied this year before i got my mcat scores so im curious if i have a chance and should spend money on the secondary applications or just cut my losses.

apply to the other schools I listed and definitely plan for a spring retake in case you have no success with your applications.

and no, the 22 is not necessarily lethal. Somebody last year with similar stats to you got into FOUR schools (VCOM, CUSOM, LMU, and WVSOM I think). Its worth a try.

I don't personally know anyone that got into a DO school with below a 24. I think you could save the money and the time of secondaries, study way hard, rock the MCAT and get tons of interviews/acceptances next year. The application process is long and draining. I think you want to avoid going through it, feeling frustrated and having that affect your new MCAT score. Good luck!

I have seen many people on here get into DO schools with 22-23. Its not as competitive as most people think.

Last edited:
No shot at KCUMB. I had a 22 MCAT once and they would not send me a secondary because it was too low (and i'm URM). I would also take KCOM off that list as well, they tend to seek applicants with higher MCAT scores.

Thanks for the advice- I'll look into these schools and i'll try to pull any connections that I can for this year's application cycle. I will definitely start studying and planning a retake for January or February.

Does anyone know if calling the school admissions and talking about questions like this are a good or bad idea?

I want to basically ask them what my chances are with their school with my scores and how I can claim an interview with their school this time around.

Thanks for the advice- I'll look into these schools and i'll try to pull any connections that I can for this year's application cycle. I will definitely start studying and planning a retake for January or February.

Does anyone know if calling the school admissions and talking about questions like this are a good or bad idea?

I want to basically ask them what my chances are with their school with my scores and how I can claim an interview with their school this time around.

I would HIGHLY suggest calling schools you are interested in and asking them what your chances are

I know for a fact the lowest MCAT accepted at Western CA is a 24. AZCOM is not welcoming of low MCAT. UA is impossible; their 10th percentile is at least 5 points above your MCAT.

KCOM and KCUMB are not going to happen. I think CUSOM and MUCOM have MCAT filters, so better call and find out their absolute minimum. KYCOM has too much regional bias that it would only be worth it if OP was from that region.

I have seen many people on here get into DO schools with 22-23. Its not as competitive as most people think.
Below 23 is very rare, and as competition becomes more stiff, a 22 is becoming close to impossible.

No shot at KCUMB. I had a 22 MCAT once and they would not send me a secondary because it was too low (and i'm URM). I would also take KCOM off that list as well, they tend to seek applicants with higher MCAT scores.

KCUMB requires you to have 2/3 of these: 3.25 cgpa, 3.25 sgpa, 23 MCAT. You only had 1. OP has 2.

KCUMB requires you to have 2/3 of these: 3.25 cgpa, 3.25 sgpa, 23 MCAT. You only had 1. OP has 2.

There is no 2/3 rule anymore. You need all of them. I was initially rejected because a sub 3.25 sci gpa, but after that increased to 3.4 after summer courses I recieved a secondary