Apr 8, 2010
Status
Say an applicants cGPA was a 3.45 and their sGPA was a 3.75.

Given a cGPA of 3.45 is well below average for most medical school applicants and a 3.75 is well above average, can/does the sGPA make up for a lower cGPA?

funklab

high plains drifter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
IMO perhaps to a small extent, but what redeems a lowish cGPA is a proportionately higher MCAT score.
I don't know how much it will "redeem" you, but at least a really high verbal score will show that you have the ability to do things besides science

ucsfstudents

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
What's most important is your sGPA -- 3.75 is good. Medical schools want evidence that you can handle the workload of medical school. Your sGPA shows that you can.

Also, make sure the rest of your application is well polished to make up for the low GPA. Apply broadly. Good luck!

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I was sort of wondering the same thing. By the time I apply next year, my stats will be around a 3.6 cum and a 3.9 BCPM (my goal at least). I've been reading that your MCAT scores should probably be better than average in order to make up for a low Cum GPA...

funklab

high plains drifter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
I was sort of wondering the same thing. By the time I apply next year, my stats will be around a 3.6 cum and a 3.9 BCPM (my goal at least). I've been reading that your MCAT scores should probably be better than average in order to make up for a low Cum GPA...
3.6 ain't really all that low. My state school is damn good, and there mean is right around 3.6