SGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FNPBC2MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When calculating my sGPA should I include the science courses from my doctoral program? Also, as a non-traditional student which type of program would be more accepting of an NP, the DO or the MD?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The app services determine course categorization. Different for MD vs. DO, but grad work is separate from undergrad either way and usually only undergrad matters for med school admissions. The course categorization & GPA calc instructions are only 1-2 pages - take the time if you've done more than cookie cutter undergrad.

MD: Applying to Medical School with AMCAS®

DO: AACOMAS Application Instructions and FAQs

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be evaluated by the same yardstick as the 21 year olds. Your prior accomplishments are seasoning, not meat.

"DNP" isn't who you are. Neither is "nontrad."

On a med school app, in order of priority, you are:
1) cumulative undergrad GPA
2) MCAT
3) performance in undergrad med school prereqs
4) presence/absence of red flags on recommendations from mostly science faculty
5) intangibles
6) exposure to clinical medicine
7) evidence of being an employable grownup with whom others will want to work

MD and DO schools have heavy overlap in admissions criteria. Your GPA & MCAT determine your competitiveness for any given school, MD or DO.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users
As indicated, your sGPA will only be undergraduate work. Your graduate degree and GPA will be listed on your application, but the GPAs are kept separate so that the "yardstick" as Dr. Midlife aptly put it is actually a reliable way of comparison.

And when you go back to take postbacc courses, those classes will be averaged with sGPA but will also be listed separately on the app, FYI.

Reactions: 1 user