SGU and Ross Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cjohns30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.37
sGPA 3.60
MCAT- 27, 10PS, 9 BS, 8 VR
Shadowing- 160 hrs with ENT surgeon and ortho, 50 hrs OR time with ortho and great LOR from both
Research- 60 hrs biomechanics lab
-100hrs neuroscience lab
LOR- 2 from surgeons, 3 from science professors (Bio, Chem- department chair and Physics) and 1 from the head of Philosophy Dept.
I am applying to US MD and DO schools but applying Caribbean for the sake of security. What's my odds looking like for SGU and Ross?

Members don't see this ad.

You really should focus on U.S. schools, not Caribbean. Maybe if you make it past two or three cycles, look at it. It's rather late to apply this year...

As a followup:

You would be accepted at either school with your stats. Don't apply just for the sake of security. You should exhaust multiple attempts at US schools before you apply Caribbean. Would you be able to hold off going to the Caribbean if you aren't accepted to US schools just so you wouldn't have to wait a year? I know it would tempt alot of people...

Realistically, based on your MCAT, you're a stronger DO candidate. Why don't you look into those schools primarily with your state MD schools and maybe a few other lower tier MD schools thrown in there. It's really late to apply this year and you'd be better off applying next year if you haven't already applied. Be ready the day the applications open to apply so you have the best chance of success. If you haven't applied yet, don't. You don't want to be a reapplicant if you can avoid it. Consider retaking the MCAT as well. That would make you more competitive. Your cGPA is a bit low. Grade replacement with DO schools can help with that.

Basically, make your application the best you can the first time around. If you spend an extra year or two on the front end to make it to med school, that's ok. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 users
GPA 3.37
sGPA 3.60
MCAT- 27, 10PS, 9 BS, 8 VR
Shadowing- 160 hrs with ENT surgeon and ortho, 50 hrs OR time with ortho and great LOR from both
Research- 60 hrs biomechanics lab
-100hrs neuroscience lab
LOR- 2 from surgeons, 3 from science professors (Bio, Chem- department chair and Physics) and 1 from the head of Philosophy Dept.
I am applying to US MD and DO schools but applying Caribbean for the sake of security. What's my odds looking like for SGU and Ross?

I'm not sure how much weight LORs carry for caribbean schools, but you might consider getting at least one from a primary care physician of some sort. I only say this because you're unlikely to be going into ortho from the caribbean, so admissions might want to see that you are interested in and have experience in something outside of ortho surgery ORs. Someone else might want to chime in on that. But, I've heard generally primary care physician LORs are looked upon more favorably because most admissions committees are made up of non surgeons, and most medical students end up going into primary care anyway.

Also why not just look on the website for SGU, they publish what their average stats are for matriculating students. I'm sure you know your stats are fine for the caribbean.