SGU and Ross question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lambdaram

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please let me know if you spot anything wrong with this post.

I just got accepted to SGU and Ross for January 2021 term and I do have a few questions for SGU and Ross students.

I did see some threads created back in 2010-2018 but I just wanna hear from current students since things might be a bit different from back then.

What do you think the pros and cons are at your school? Also, do y’all stay in Grenada/St.Kitts over the break?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! So just a disclaimer I am not a student at either, but I also applied to both and attended several info sessions and virtual tours and spoke to a few admission coordinators to get as much info as possible since I am also considering them. Here is what I've gathered so far:

RUSVM:
  • 3.25 years
  • Due to its fast paced curriculum, you do not get a summer break but rather 2 weeks maximum between the three semesters that make up a year.
  • NAVLE pass rate is lower than SGU and is in the 80-88% range.
  • It is a bit pricer than SGU.
  • Location is susceptible to hurricanes.
  • If you decide to bring a pet from the U.S. a St. Kitts Veterinarian must examine your pet upon arrival to the island and your pet must be quarantined for some time before the Veterinarian can make a final assessment post-quarantine for the safety of you and your pet (despite COVID-19).
SGU:
  • 4 years
  • You will be able to get a summer break in case you need it to mentally recharge or use it for internships, working, volunteering, research, etc.
  • Option to enroll in its global vet health track which allows you to gain dual certification as a member of AVMA (U.S.) and RCVS (U.K. and I think Canada) without having to take the RCVS exam.
  • NAVLE pass rate is over 90%. I think it was 92% last time I checked.
  • It is cheaper than RUSVM.
  • Location is not susceptible to hurricanes.
  • There is no process for bringing a pet to and from the island.
  • Graduation is actually in Miami, FL. Not on the island so tickets for you and family during this time will essentially be cheaper too.
  • I'm not sure how this relates to Ross, but one of the coordinators used this as a bragging point of SGU: "Our students do gain hands-on training a year earlier than in most programs. Our students do participate in surgeries prior to their 4th year clinical training and even do rotations through our SAC (small animal clinic) and LARF (Large animal)."
I know that this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps a little!

Reactions: 1 users
As an add-on, and I don’t want to offend any Ross students or grads by seeming like I’m saying to never attend Ross, but the percent of people who don’t graduate on time is 41%. Factor in the NAVLE pass rate, and that means you have only a 50% chance of graduating and obtaining licensure in under 4 years. There are different reasons that people have for why this is the case, but at the end of the day, the statistics speak for themselves.

You can talk to some people on here who either failed out of other schools or had to repeat a year or two. They are intelligent, capable people who, for one reason or another, found themselves in that position. And while I’ll let them speak for themselves about their individual experiences if they want (they’ve been vocal about it for a while and you can already find some comments on here if you look for it), their collective thoughts on the topic is that it sucks. Whether it’s the extra money spent retaking classes, added interest from loans, mental health implications, etc. You don’t want to be in that position if you can help it.

At Ross, you CAN be practice ready about 9 months earlier than people who start at the same time as you at other schools. Sure. But you’re equally as likely to have something not go as planned and end up spending more money and time on your degree. If you have the option to go to a school with a better track record (which, at this point, is all of the US schools as well as SGU) that can give you the highest chance of being practice-ready on time, I would do that.

Note: the data for Ross is from Ross’ website but they removed the page that had the graduation rate on it. It is still available if you use web archive.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! So just a disclaimer I am not a student at either, but I also applied to both and attended several info sessions and virtual tours and spoke to a few admission coordinators to get as much info as possible since I am also considering them. Here is what I've gathered so far:

RUSVM:
  • 3.25 years
  • Due to its fast paced curriculum, you do not get a summer break but rather 2 weeks maximum between the three semesters that make up a year.
  • If you decide to bring a pet from the U.S. a St. Kitts Veterinarian must examine your pet upon arrival to the island and your pet must be quarantined for some time before the Veterinarian can make a final assessment post-quarantine for the safety of you and your pet (despite COVID-19).
SGU:
  • 4 years
  • You will be able to get a summer break in case you need it to mentally recharge or use it for internships, working, volunteering, research, etc.
  • Option to enroll in its global vet health track which allows you to gain dual certification as a member of AVMA (U.S.) and RCVS (U.K. and I think Canada) without having to take the RCVS exam.
  • Graduation is actually in Miami, FL. Not on the island so tickets for you and family during this time will essentially be cheaper too.
  • I'm not sure how this relates to Ross, but one of the coordinators used this as a bragging point of SGU: "Our students do gain hands-on training a year earlier than in most programs. Our students do participate in surgeries prior to their 4th year clinical training and even do rotations through our SAC (small animal clinic) and LARF (Large animal)."
I know that this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps a little!

Oh wow thanks a lot! Yeah I was really excited about SGU’s global health track when I was told about it (and I still am!). Still in the process of deciding where to go but this definitely is very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
As an add-on, and I don’t want to offend any Ross students or grads by seeming like I’m saying to never attend Ross, but the percent of people who don’t graduate on time is 41%. Factor in the NAVLE pass rate, and that means you have only a 50% chance of graduating and obtaining licensure in under 4 years. There are different reasons that people have for why this is the case, but at the end of the day, the statistics speak for themselves.

You can talk to some people on here who either failed out of other schools or had to repeat a year or two. They are intelligent, capable people who, for one reason or another, found themselves in that position. And while I’ll let them speak for themselves about their individual experiences if they want (they’ve been vocal about it for a while and you can already find some comments on here if you look for it), their collective thoughts on the topic is that it sucks. Whether it’s the extra money spent retaking classes, added interest from loans, mental health implications, etc. You don’t want to be in that position if you can help it.

At Ross, you CAN be practice ready about 9 months earlier than people who start at the same time as you at other schools. Sure. But you’re equally as likely to have something not go as planned and end up spending more money and time on your degree. If you have the option to go to a school with a better track record (which, at this point, is all of the US schools as well as SGU) that can give you the highest chance of being practice-ready on time, I would do that.

Note: the data for Ross is from Ross’ website but they removed the page that had the graduation rate on it. It is still available if you use web archive.

thanks so much! Yeah I have been looking at the NAVLE pass rates for Ross and SGU and this was one of my concerns. The vet I have been working with has told me some great stuff about Ross and I also liked the idea of finishing school in 3.25 yrs but also have been asking myself if I will be able to handle such an intense schedule without reaching the point of burnout.

thanks so much! Yeah I have been looking at the NAVLE pass rates for Ross and SGU and this was one of my concerns. The vet I have been working with has told me some great stuff about Ross and I also liked the idea of finishing school in 3.25 yrs but also have been asking myself if I will be able to handle such an intense schedule without reaching the point of burnout.
I do want to be out in the open and say that if you go to either school and make it through to the other side, you will be prepared for practice. I surprisingly haven’t met any SGU grads, but I’ve met Ross grads, and they’ve been great. One of the radiology residents at my school is a Ross grad. They obviously make good doctors. I do feel that the negatives are a bit under mentioned on here because people conflate statistical criticism with criticism of the students or graduates. That’s not the case. There ARE issues with Ross’ program and students should go into the application process knowing this. There are problems with most other schools and I’d hope everyone would be transparent about that as well.

RUSVM:
  • 3.25 years
SGU:
  • 4 years
About Ross:
Our graduation is in Miami as well and we also get lots of hands on learning, including rotations through our teaching clinic. 5th semester you do your first anesthetic procedure and before clinics you get to do at least 5-6 surgeries I believe (on large and small animals). Can get additional surgical experience if you volunteer with some of the organizations/clubs on campus. 7th semester you are also responsible for SOAPing various species (you rotate through different species) pretty much almost every day the entire semester. Just wanted to throw that info out there!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please let me know if you spot anything wrong with this post.

I just got accepted to SGU and Ross for January 2021 term and I do have a few questions for SGU and Ross students.

I did see some threads created back in 2010-2018 but I just wanna hear from current students since things might be a bit different from back then.

What do you think the pros and cons are at your school? Also, do y’all stay in Grenada/St.Kitts over the break?

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to get an interview from SGU after submitting the application? I just submitted mine for Jan 2021 as well. Also, how long after the interview did you get an acceptance? Thanks!

hey guys I’m new here I just applied to Ross. I just had an interview and currently waiting for a decision. I have a 2.7 Gpa and A 480 MCAT. What are my chances of getting accepted to Ross. Also SGU, AUA, SABA would I get accepted to any of these maybe? Im also planning on a doing my own post bac this semester and increase my gpa as well as retake my MCAT to increase my chances.
I think you meant to post this over in the pre-allo forum. This is pre-vet.

Hey! I am a current SGU student (med, not vet) but I would be happy to answer any questions about Grenada/campus life! Prior to Covid, I had some complaints, but I would've said that if you can't get into a US professional school, SGU is a great option. However, their handling of distance learning (at least on the med side) has been abysmal, and incredibly telling. Because Grenada has such limited access to healthcare, the chances of us going back to in-person learning before a vaccine is available are extremely low. Although an official decision has yet to be made about the January term, and they remain "optimistic," I would definitely keep an eye on it. If the distance learning experience for Vet is similar to Med, you will get a combination of poor education and deliberately cruel administration. Feel free to message me! :)

Hey! I am a current SGU student (med, not vet) but I would be happy to answer any questions about Grenada/campus life! Prior to Covid, I had some complaints, but I would've said that if you can't get into a US professional school, SGU is a great option. However, their handling of distance learning (at least on the med side) has been abysmal, and incredibly telling. Because Grenada has such limited access to healthcare, the chances of us going back to in-person learning before a vaccine is available are extremely low. Although an official decision has yet to be made about the January term, and they remain "optimistic," I would definitely keep an eye on it. If the distance learning experience for Vet is similar to Med, you will get a combination of poor education and deliberately cruel administration. Feel free to message me! :)

St. Kitts was Covid free (recently two nationals returned and were positive, although they had been immediately placed into quarantine anyways) and the borders are still closed, but Ross was able to work out a plan with the government and recently our 7th semester students flew back to finish up surgery labs. There were very strict conditions and quarantine requirements. The same thing is happening next semester with the semesters that have essential labs that need to be completed/can’t be made up (all of the lectures for all semesters will be online). So just wanted to throw out there that I wouldn’t necessarily give up up hope for the spring.