Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

SGU and step 1

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by MSc44, Nov 19, 2005.

1. does anyonk know of people who go down there and then are unable to pass step 1, this is a small fear of mine since i come from a family where my dad went to school in mexico and was unable to pass step 1 for a number of years, although he did not have the extensive science backroung i do (grad degree in bio)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, of course there are people unable to pass step 1. That is why you are given 3 chances. On the other hand, if ou successfully pass the first 2 basic science years then you should be able to handle step 1 with confidence.

There are ways to maximize you chances, including correlating your basic science classes to USMLE practice exams as you go along and thus making sure that you understand what is required of you.

4. Are this usually people who don’t put in the effort while down there the first 2 years? My grades are extremely competitive and I have a MS in Mol cell bio, but im not a great test taker but I will know for sure this April where I stand. All I want to do is be able to pass USMLE I don’t care what I get I just want to pass.....what happens after 3 times do they kick you out of the school

5. MD Rapper

MD Rapper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

6. I dont feel i have problems taking exams given my UG and Grad GPA and i have not yet sat for the mcats but if my sat's were any indication then im not happy. All my motivations ffor medicine are right. Its just like i explained above someone in my fanily who worked very hard and wanted it so bad had a tuff time because of where he went to school, just looking for some input
    thanks

7. Dukes

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In terms of step I, I really don't think I could have asked for any better preparation than what SGU gave me. They give you all the material that you will need. For the vast majority of SGU students its not about whether you pass the test its a question of how well you will do.