SGU and step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

does anyonk know of people who go down there and then are unable to pass step 1, this is a small fear of mine since i come from a family where my dad went to school in mexico and was unable to pass step 1 for a number of years, although he did not have the extensive science backroung i do (grad degree in bio)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, of course there are people unable to pass step 1. That is why you are given 3 chances. On the other hand, if ou successfully pass the first 2 basic science years then you should be able to handle step 1 with confidence.

There are ways to maximize you chances, including correlating your basic science classes to USMLE practice exams as you go along and thus making sure that you understand what is required of you.

McGillGrad said:
Well, of course there are people unable to pass step 1. That is why you are given 3 chances. On the other hand, if ou successfully pass the first 2 basic science years then you should be able to handle step 1 with confidence.

There are ways to maximize you chances, including correlating your basic science classes to USMLE practice exams as you go along and thus making sure that you understand what is required of you.

Are this usually people who don’t put in the effort while down there the first 2 years? My grades are extremely competitive and I have a MS in Mol cell bio, but im not a great test taker but I will know for sure this April where I stand. All I want to do is be able to pass USMLE I don’t care what I get I just want to pass.....what happens after 3 times do they kick you out of the school

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Rapper said:
Don't worry so much about failing and be confident that you can pass if you try as hard as you can during your basic science years... McGillGrad has given you excellent advice... just keep practicing Step I questions in your free time... especially when you are actually studying that subject in school. Generally speaking, the curriculum in the caribbean is heavily geared toward passing the Step I... so you should be able to do it.

One more point... I don't know your exact motivation for medicine, but if you have problems taking tests (which I'm unsure if you do), you're going to have a long and tiring road ahead of you in your quest to become a licensed attending physician.

I dont feel i have problems taking exams given my UG and Grad GPA and i have not yet sat for the mcats but if my sat's were any indication then im not happy. All my motivations ffor medicine are right. Its just like i explained above someone in my fanily who worked very hard and wanted it so bad had a tuff time because of where he went to school, just looking for some input
thanks

In terms of step I, I really don't think I could have asked for any better preparation than what SGU gave me. They give you all the material that you will need. For the vast majority of SGU students its not about whether you pass the test its a question of how well you will do.