SGU- anyone starting next week in Grenada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lobelsteve

Full Member
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember the blizzard of Jan 96 in Phila. My flight was for 1/5/96 and the blizzard hit on the 2nd. I thought it was a warning from the weather to stay out of the Wet Indies. Turned out to be more like an invitation. Going on 11 years since I took my first step- no regrets. I can't wait to go back. And lecture...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Make sure you realize what you want before starting either DO or SGU.

DO is a great option if you want to do primary care. It will definitely prepare you to be an "equal or yes BETTER" physician.

DO is a great option if you want to give patients an alternative to living with muscle/skeletal pain.

DO is a great option if you want to stay in the country and not worry about different living conditions.

DO is a great option if you are not interested in a competitive residency, and will open up AOA and ACGME ones.

DO is a great option if you do not mind learning Osteopathic Minipulation and hearing how A. T. Still is our leader.

DO is a great option if you do not mind the A.O.A.

--- If all of these are okay with you, and it may be, then there is no reason not to consider attending a DO school. If you are in state and have cheaper tuition even better.

--- If more than one or two of the above that I listed to agree with you. I would look into SGU. Or other options.

--- If you really want to have MD after your name. GO SGU.

Good luck
 
DO is a great option if you do not mind learning Osteopathic Minipulation and hearing how A. T. Still is our leader.

I never understand why this is such a huge issue. Allopathic students have to listen to all the quotes of Hippocrates and Osler. What's the big deal? Every profession has its "sages" that everyone quotes. Football has Vince Lombardi, classical guitar has Segovia, etc.
 
what can you help me decide between carribbean or D.O. which would you say is the better way to go.

I went to a DO school for two years. I left because it was really a bunch of Quackery. I went off to St. George and I cant tell you how happy I am with my decision especially now that I'm a 4th year applying to residency programs. I dont want to offend anyone but I think I have the right to voice my opinion since I spent 2 years at a DO program.
Anyone who is a DO is going to tell you go to a DO program but the bottom line is that you will never be an MD. If the credentials dont matter to you and your really into OMM then go for the DO school. But if you dont want to deal with explaining to everyone and I mean everyone (even people in the health care field at times) what a DO is then maybe you should go DO.

And I'm sure people are going to reply to this and say the usual thing like DO is the same as MD and all that and you know what I agree to with them to a certain extent but there is a huge part that is different. Are DO's equal to MD's in acceptance in the real world?? This I strongly disagree with and my opinion comes from being out in different hospitals doing rotations talking to Program directors (these guys basically make the decision if your going to get into there residency or not), and other attendings. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

If anyone wants to reply to this because they are a DO or DO student dont bother. Ive been in your shoes and I probably would have been offended when I was a DO student but that was then and this is now and all I can say is that I am so grateful I made my decision even though 2 years were wasted (well not really as far as "some" basic science knowledge goes).

Good luck
 
Jeez...🙄

The Caribbean forum used to be entertaining.

Now the Caribbean forum is a venting forum for people that failed out of US med schools.

Either that or I just fed a troll.
 
Jeez...🙄

The Caribbean forum used to be entertaining.

Now the Caribbean forum is a venting forum for people that failed out of US med schools.

Either that or I just fed a troll.

I'm def not a troll and I did not fail out. I was just trying to give someone another view of the DO MD issue.
I thought this forum was set up to post opinions and try and help others out with decisions that influence there careers in medicine. The only troll here is you with that waste of a post.
 
I'm def not a troll and I did not fail out. I was just trying to give someone another view of the DO MD issue.
I thought this forum was set up to post opinions and try and help others out with decisions that influence there careers in medicine. The only troll here is you with that waste of a post.

The correct word is "their."

By the way I checked your post history (yes, I'm on vacation and have the time) and you seem to be a legit poster, so my apologies for calling you a troll.

You have to admit however, that posting such disparaging (and yes, INCORRECT) statements about osteopathic medicine are bound to (1) upset people and (2) make you appear to be trolling.

Besides, one of your main arguments is that DOs will "never the same" as MDs. That's the whole point! If you didn't want to be a DO then be an MD. Simple. Finally, for someone that touts the virtues of having an MD instead of a DO, your post history has many posts asking people if they know this or that program accepts IMGs. I thought the magical letters "M" and "D" were all you needed to open the world of medicine? Yes, it sucks but DOs and IMGs are sometimes discriminated against by PDs. Oh, well, it's their loss.

Anyway, I'm glad you're finally in a school that you feel confortable with, but don't disparage those of us that chose a legitimate and alternative path to becoming a physician. Good luck with residency applications (let me guess...you're doing OB?) and wish me luck too, since I'll be doing that soon as well.
 
The correct word is "their."

By the way I checked your post history (yes, I'm on vacation and have the time) and you seem to be a legit poster, so my apologies for calling you a troll.

You have to admit however, that posting such disparaging (and yes, INCORRECT) statements about osteopathic medicine are bound to (1) upset people and (2) make you appear to be trolling.

Besides, one of your main arguments is that DOs will "never the same" as MDs. That's the whole point! If you didn't want to be a DO then be an MD. Simple. Finally, for someone that touts the virtues of having an MD instead of a DO, your post history has many posts asking people if they know this or that program accepts IMGs. I thought the magical letters "M" and "D" were all you needed to open the world of medicine? Yes, it sucks but DOs and IMGs are sometimes discriminated against by PDs. Oh, well, it's their loss.

Anyway, I'm glad you're finally in a school that you feel confortable with, but don't disparage those of us that chose a legitimate and alternative path to becoming a physician. Good luck with residency applications (let me guess...you're doing OB?) and wish me luck too, since I'll be doing that soon as well.

Sounds good! Good luck and all the best to you and those who have chosen DO or MD.

Happy New Year!!