SGU August 07 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedBMA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back for the August O7 class?

Members don't see this ad.

when and where did you interview?

I interviewed on 9/29 in upstate NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, thats over a month ago! i thought sgu (or carribean schools anyways) were a lot better about getting back to you post-interview. is it normal to wait months and months to hear back (yes/no/waitlist)? i'm interviewing tomorrow in ca.

best of luck!

I believe that admissions are taking longer then usual because of a large volume of applicants for the January 07 class, but it does suck waiting so long!

good luck with your interview

I interviewed last Thursday for Aug. '07 class and my interviewer basically said that we can hear anytime until May pretty much, which sucks. I'm thinking we'll probably hear by late Jan. since the Jan. '07 will have finally started.

anyone interview in southern cali?

i interviewed on 12/5/06...it's only been a week but feels like "eternity" haha

oh cool! where'd u interview? i have mine on the 18th in pasadena,ca eeps! it's goin to be my first med school interview EVER

To all of you guys that had an interview, if you don't mind, what were your approximate stats?

To all of you guys that had an interview, if you don't mind, what were your approximate stats?

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I was accepted into the Aug 2007 class. I interviewed mid Oct.

Hi. I just got accepted to Ross University fr the May 07 class. am not sure if I want to go there. I am also scheduled for an interview at ST George. Is anyone else going to Ross or St George for the spring 07 or summer 07 class who is from New York City. Please feel free to respond.
Does anyone have any information about the living conditions on the island please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats superman i'm still waiting... should i be worried it's already Feb. i did get a letter sayin that my application is competitive whatever that means right? :confused:

congrats superman i'm still waiting... should i be worried it's already Feb. i did get a letter sayin that my application is competitive whatever that means right? :confused:

I would not worry. It took 2.5 months for me to hear anything from them.

Wow, you all applied super early. I just submitted my application...do you think that's way too late in the game even though the deadline isn't technically until june?

nah i think it's fine i heard a lot of people apply till may

do they have any sort of deadline for matriculating in august?

I just got an e-mail saying they are granting my interview. I'm in North NJ. So what should i expect? I mean i know i won't be touring the school since the interview will be in NJ.

Also does anyone know if Aug 07 students can defer to Jan 08 class, b/c i may elect to do that for personal reasons.

Thanks

I just got an e-mail saying they are granting my interview. I'm in North NJ. So what should i expect? I mean i know i won't be touring the school since the interview will be in NJ.

Thanks

Hey! Good luck on your interview. I was just wondering how long after submitting your application you heard about the interview.

Also does anyone know if Aug 07 students can defer to Jan 08 class, b/c i may elect to do that for personal reasons.

Thanks

SGU does not allow a student to defer. So, if you are selected to attend the Aug 2007 class and you cannot go, then you have to re-apply for the next class (either Jan 2008 or Aug 2008). There will be students who submit there application for Aug 2007, yet will get a letter saying something like "Congrats....you have been accepted.....you are on the waiting list for Aug 2007, and you definitely have a spot for Jan 2008....." This is becoming more common because of the large volume of applicants that SGU has been receiving in the past few years.

i interviewed w/ SGU on Feb 12 in Baltimore and Im waiting...waiting...waiting! I'm hoping to get it...Anyone applying for the Global Scholars Program? Anyone in the Global Scholars program already?

I did not even know about the Global Scholars Program. It seems like a great experience, I wish I had known about it before submitting my application. How many students do they accept to go there? Do you stay there for the two years of the basic sciences?

I did not even know about the Global Scholars Program. It seems like a great experience, I wish I had known about it before submitting my application. How many students do they accept to go there? Do you stay there for the two years of the basic sciences?

please see the following link:

http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/global-scholars.html

The innagural class started this January with 59 students. If deemed a success, the school will add more students in the future. These students only complete 1 year in England, and then they come to Grenada. This program does not allow US students to use stafford loans. If you already submitted an application and are interested in this program I suggest you contact the school to speak with someone.

Hi I just found out about global scholars recently and I'm reallly interested. I heard it was like 400$ more than Grenada because of housing and I heard that the Jan '07 class had to flip-flop one of their classes with a second year class because a lack of equipment or something. They said it should be all ironed out by Aug. I'm in St. George's for Aug but I'm just now trying to get reviewed again for global scholars. Does anyone know more about it??

Hi I just found out about global scholars recently and I'm reallly interested. I heard it was like 400$ more than Grenada because of housing and I heard that the Jan '07 class had to flip-flop one of their classes with a second year class because a lack of equipment or something. They said it should be all ironed out by Aug. I'm in St. George's for Aug but I'm just now trying to get reviewed again for global scholars. Does anyone know more about it??

you can read more about it on SGU's website. Are you in the process of writing your 500 word essay, then sending it back to them and they're going to review you again for admission into the global scholar's program?

Thanks

Hey theshem, just wondering if you had your interview yet and how it went!? I am also in North Jersey and will be having my interview next week. Kinda nervous!!

Hey Guys,

Goin to SGU this August???? Get to know you fellow classmates and possibly future colleagues!!!!

Join the Group Accepted! SGU Aug 07 on facebook ASAP!!!!!!!!!

I have been accepted into the GSP program. Originally I had applied to the Grenada program, after being accepted I asked to be considered for the GSP program. I had to write an additional 500 word essay. Im sure anyone else that is interested can do the same, just contact your admissions person

Has anyone interviewed in the DC area?

Ceecy, I applied.....Still waiting... I called to find out what was going on, and she said it was still being reviewed. I interviewed on Feb 12 in Baltimore.
Question, did any of you all consider St. Matthews Univ in the Grand Cayman? Just curious- I was accepted there, but cant really see alot of ppl who are going there on student doc-

Hey Oluchi, Kedu? From your screen name I know you're naija. Me too girl! Was Baltimore the only option you had? I have an upcoming interview and I don't drive. I pray they can work something closer for me.

Goodluck and update us when the good news comes, 'cos come it will!!!

has anyone applied/interviewed lately?

I applied recently (last month) for the fall 07 class...

How long does it usually take before receiving an interview invite?

thanks

has anyone applied/interviewed lately?
Just finished my application on Saturday but won't have all the other stuff in 'till Friday. I was told there's still some spots left for August but, obviously, it's pretty close to the end of the line and it's getting "competitive".

i mailed everything april 5th.. (had transcripts and LOR sent the week before)
april 12th - email from admissions counselor saying she got my application
april 17th - email saying file complete

i emailed asking about the average turnaround time.. this is what she wrote back to me:
"It will take several weeks anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to have the
file back from the Board w/ a decision on interview. From that point, if
granted an interview, it will take about 2 weeks until you are set up w/
interviewer to set up date/time etc.
Then the file comes back from interview and again goes before the Board for
a final determination. That process also takes several weeks."

i hope there are more than just a few spots left..!

When are deadlines for the January term applications?? I couldnt find this info on their applications or website?

for any one that is curious..i interviewed late jan and received my acceptance mid february for the aug 2007 class. i submitted my application in november of 2006 and it took a long time to schedule the interview since it was a group one. after that..they have to mail the interview papers back to grenada for board consideration and then they will notify you. the admissions counselors are very nice and will try to answer all questions along the process. good luck to everyone! still haven't decided if i am going....but the interview process was very relaxed, enjoyable, and informative. from the pictures..SGU seems like a very nice campus with a good collaborative learning environment. :)

from an old email i just found..

"The deadline for the January class is November 15th.
The deadline for the August class is June 15th."

thanks so much for your replies!

Just accepted to SGU-Global Scholars Program today!
Applied back in December...Interviewed February....Application deemed Competitive" (WAITLISTED!) in March....Accepted today (May 4)!

Keep hope alive guys:)

Interviewed 4/6 - Accepted 5/8

However, the Grenada class is full so I was placed on the "Priority Waitlist"

Hey bwells, I am also on the same waitlist. Have you heard anything? Did you decide to stay on the waitlist or take the GSP spot?

Hey bwells, I am also on the same waitlist. Have you heard anything? Did you decide to stay on the waitlist or take the GSP spot?

I decided to wait for a spot in Grenada since it's approved for Stafford Loans by the US Dept of Education. I'm sure the GSP program is fine but I feel more comfortable in terms of USMLE prep by going to an established program.

Besides, in the worst case scenario, we'll start in January.

When did you interview and when were you accepted?

See you around campus - hopefully in the Fall!

I decided to wait for a spot in Grenada since it's approved for Stafford Loans by the US Dept of Education. I'm sure the GSP program is fine but I feel more comfortable in terms of USMLE prep by going to an established program.

Besides, in the worst case scenario, we'll start in January.

When did you interview and when were you accepted?

See you around campus - hopefully in the Fall!

Good Idea. You'll be able to concentrate on hitting the books with minimal distractions in Grenada as well. I always felt that because there was hardly anything to do on a daily basis on the island besides studying, I was able to excel in my basic sciences. That being said, you'll still have plenty of opportunity to party after exams and travel to the various other islands.....GOD I miss Margarita Island...

I just got an invite to interview for the Jan 2008 class, but I get to pick my location. Currently they are interviewing on the east coast, florida, georgia, kansas, and missouri. Was wondering if anybody knew the best place to interview at or if it doesn't matter.
Thanks!

I just got an invite to interview for the Jan 2008 class, but I get to pick my location. Currently they are interviewing on the east coast, florida, georgia, kansas, and missouri. Was wondering if anybody knew the best place to interview at or if it doesn't matter.
Thanks!

I interviewed at the University of Miami but it probably doesn't matter. Just do well in the interview (i.e. know what you're talking about, make eye contact, etc).

thanks...is it true that we have to write an essay before the interview??