SGU c/o 2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlazeoGlory

SGU SVM 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure I am in a minority, but is anyone else here attending St. George's in August? And anyone who is, have you already been to the island?

Members don't see this ad.

how long did it take for you to hear back from SGU after your interview? It has been 1month+ now since my interview and I still haven't heard anything...I've also asked Krista and she keeps telling me that its still in review...etc...*sigh* :(

Jeeney:

At the time of my interview (it was last December) they were actually rushing to get me into the pool for January so I think they sped up my process a bit (I found out within a week). I ended up deferring so that I could hear back from my other schools. It may be that because there are usually more applicants for the august pool and there are more than 2 weeks to the start of the semester (!) that maybe they are taking a bit more time.

I wouldn't worry TOO much, there is still some time! But I definitely feel your pain ~ I sent my application to Murdoch in Perth back in December and didn't hear back until this past week! No one had an answer for me and it turned out they lost track of my rejection or something like that. Worst case scenario! I hope you hear soon and good luck!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!! I will be attending SGU in August. I have had the chance to visit campus, and the island. It is absolutely gorgeous. Pictures can do no justice for the true natural beauty produced there. The local people are incredibly friendly and extremely welcoming. I was born and raised in Mobile, AL; i.e. small town country girl with the accent to match, and that didn't matter to a single soul. Open arms were everywhere; anyone and everyone was willing to help find a place, give a ride, call a taxi, etc. If you have a chance to visit before school, I'd recommend it. As far as how long it took for a decision... I applied sometime in September, set my interview for Dec. 4th and heard back sometime around Jan 11th. Don't worry...the just got back from SVM graduation and are beginning reviews for scholarships so they are very busy. Krista is amazing and will let you know as soon as she hears something.

Hi!! I will be attending SGU in August. I have had the chance to visit campus, and the island. It is absolutely gorgeous. Pictures can do no justice for the true natural beauty produced there. The local people are incredibly friendly and extremely welcoming. I was born and raised in Mobile, AL; i.e. small town country girl with the accent to match, and that didn't matter to a single soul. Open arms were everywhere; anyone and everyone was willing to help find a place, give a ride, call a taxi, etc. If you have a chance to visit before school, I'd recommend it. As far as how long it took for a decision... I applied sometime in September, set my interview for Dec. 4th and heard back sometime around Jan 11th. Don't worry...the just got back from SVM graduation and are beginning reviews for scholarships so they are very busy. Krista is amazing and will let you know as soon as she hears something.

Are you taking any animals with you? I've always wondered how much housing is available there that allows pets. That 's the one thing that keeps me from applying there. Also, is housing reasonably affordable?

I want so very badly to take my cat with me (I have been without him in Germany for about a year now :() but they recommend for the first semester not to bring animals while you settle in and avoid causing them any stress. It is only for a few months, so hopefully he can join me later. There is pet-friendly housing on campus, but I have heard it's limited and on a first-come-first-serve basis (not sure how that works yet)..

I may not be 100% sure on this but it was also recommended to me to stay on-campus for the time being because in that case, the residence costs show up on the fee bill and you can use your loans toward that, but not if you are living on your own. So anyone who notices any mistake here, please correct me if I am wrong!

DVM2Be:

Glad I'm not alone! The island sounds amazing!

Are you living on campus your first semester? Any pets? etc?

Hi everyone. Just to give you the inside scoop. The school does perfer first term students to leave their pets home and live on campus. The thought process is that it will be easier for you to get settled and adjusted to a new lifestyle. If you truly want to bring your pet that first semester, the school will allow you to bring them, and live off campus. Just ask for permission from our housing co-ordinator in our Bay Shore Office.

There are plenty of off campus housing available that allows pets, and I can help put you in touch with current students there living off campus with pets who can help you find a place as well.

As far as bringing pets to Grenada, and then back home, as far as the two countries are concerned, there are no problems. There is no quarentine time, so that is not an issue. The toughest part about the whole process is working it out through the airlines. American Airlines now has a pet embargo for the summer months due to temperature, so that has made it more difficult this past year. Just work very closely with the airlines to make sure you can get them down. Again, fell free to contact me, and I will have a current student tell you how they have travelled with their pets.

Hope that helps.

I am living on campus first term as are many others I've talked to. I feel like I will better adjust by doing this. I am not taking any pets down as my parents and brother are extremely attached and it would hurt them terribly for me to take them. Plus I need time to get adjusted to island life. Who knows, I might pick up a few from down there...

so Krista finally called me and said that SGU finally finished going over my application...But, unfortunately, when I returned her call, she had already left her office. :( but she said they took a long time looking over my file due to the fact that SGU's vet school is in the middle of accreditation and that they may be the first Caribbean school to be avma accredited? can anyone who has an idea about SGU's accreditation chime in here? :luck:

Good luck Jeenie! Let us know what happens. Are you still considering SGU or going to ROSS? I am leaving for SGU in August, I have not heard much about SGU becoming accredited in awhile. When you talk to Krista if you hear anymore about this, definately give us an update!

so Krista finally called me and said that SGU finally finished going over my application...But, unfortunately, when I returned her call, she had already left her office. :( but she said they took a long time looking over my file due to the fact that SGU's vet school is in the middle of accreditation and that they may be the first Caribbean school to be avma accredited? can anyone who has an idea about SGU's accreditation chime in here? :luck:

I spoke to Krista today and SGU is setting up a final AVMA site visit for Spring/Summer 2009 for accreditation. So good news for class of 2011 and 2012!

I spoke to Krista today and SGU is setting up a final AVMA site visit for Spring/Summer 2009 for accreditation. So good news for class of 2011 and 2012!

Is this going to be their official site visit?

I called the AVMA before deciding which Caribbean school to go to. AVMA said both Ross and SGU were in the same stage, and neither had decided when to do the final site visit (last step for both). I know Ross is working very hard hard- lots of new construction and curriculum changes.

In the end, I choose Ross because the alumni I knew had positive reviews, I could get US students loans (some of which are subsidized), and it was easier to get to (and easier to bring Pets to). If Ross was not an option, I wouldn't of hesitated to go to SGU. Keep us updated about SGU!

It appears they recently had a site visit, but the Spring 2009 visit is THE official final decision visit.

That would definitely rock some socks :zip:Keepin the fingers crossed!

I'm also going to SGU starting in August (a little less than a month from now- can you believe it?). I chose SGU over Ross based mostly on my own gut feeling, that I would be happier there based on everything I'd heard. I just got back from visiting the island, actually (I'll post pictures on the facebook group in a bit): I can't believe how beautiful it is, and how nice the facilities are! I hadn't heard till now about that site visit, but I'll keep my fingers crossed, that would be amazing!