SGU clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are clinical rotation spots allocated? I hear SGU has large class size. Not everyone can get into Brooklyn for rotations. So is it a lottery? Based on merit / class standing? How do I pick where I want to live in 3rd year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are clinical rotation spots allocated? I hear SGU has large class size. Not everyone can get into Brooklyn for rotations. So is it a lottery? Based on merit / class standing? How do I pick where I want to live in 3rd year?

Toward the end of 2nd year they ask you for your top 3 preferred locations, and you are allowed to offer compelling reasons for those specific clinical centers. For example, if you have family nearby and have access to free housing, or if you're Canadian and want to be as close to home as possible, etc. You can either choose specific hospital programs, or by city. After you submit proof of passing Step 1, they will place you in a clinical center. The vast majority get their #1 or #2 spot. Students speculate that your Step 1 score has impact on your placement, but I'm not convinced there's much evidence for that.

We have a lot of clinical centers in Brooklyn if you're dead-set on being here. Most students want to be at Brooklyn Hospital or Methodist because they're in nicer areas of the city and/or they tend to be a little more lax on students, so if you want to guarantee you'll be in Brooklyn you can choose a tougher program in a poorer neighborhood like Kings County Hospital. King's County is a particularly tough place to train and relatively few people choose to go there, but the training is excellent.

How do you pick where you want to live? That's probably determined by what's important to you. Big hospital vs small hospital culture, exposure to different patient populations, geographic region, status of specific programs, distance to home, cost of living. Lots of things go into the decision. In a place like NY housing can be really tough and you only have about 4 weeks to coordinate your housing. The clinical education department can help you here, as well as rental websites, but other students' word of mouth is probably your best bet.

Hi SGU 3rd year med student here.

I am studying for step 1 but decided to delay a couple weeks. I was wondering if someone who has done that was able to get clinicals placement in NYC?

Members don't see this ad :)
TBH I can't think of anyone who wanted to end up in NYC who wasn't able to, as that seems to be where the majority of SGU students do clinical rotations anyways. Of course, your class is probably bigger than mine but I can't imagine they'd run out of spots there.

TBH I can't think of anyone who wanted to end up in NYC who wasn't able to, as that seems to be where the majority of SGU students do clinical rotations anyways. Of course, your class is probably bigger than mine but I can't imagine they'd run out of spots there.
Yeah I figured. Thanks for your input. I'm really interested in going into family medicine. any particular hospital i should keep in mind for rotations that may have an exceptionally well family medical center? or generally known to have good rotations?

Anyone interested in shedding light on Flushing Med center? Good hospital?

It's a run-of-the-mill community hospital. It's pretty far out from Manhattan or Brooklyn, which are the more popular and trendy neighborhoods, a little tough to get to by subway train. You basically need to live in the area to work there as a poor medical student. A lot of the hassle and expense of living in NY with significantly less of the fun/interesting/exciting stuff. Flushing is a pretty okay area though, an interesting slice of NY life. Huge Chinese enclave along the north end of Roosevelt ave makes for great food/markets/temples etc to explore.

Anyone from SGU who is already doing clinicals interested in sharing an outline of their clinical calendar? What should I be putting on this thing?

It's a run-of-the-mill community hospital. It's pretty far out from Manhattan or Brooklyn, which are the more popular and trendy neighborhoods, a little tough to get to by subway train. You basically need to live in the area to work there as a poor medical student. A lot of the hassle and expense of living in NY with significantly less of the fun/interesting/exciting stuff. Flushing is a pretty okay area though, an interesting slice of NY life. Huge Chinese enclave along the north end of Roosevelt ave makes for great food/markets/temples etc to explore.
Thanks for this information! I haven't been placed yet and eagerly waiting.

Hello, I'm interested in going to SGU but they do not have any affiliated hospitals near Philadelphia. Has anybody ever tried to get clinical outside of the sgu list if it is at all possible?

Hello, I'm interested in going to SGU but they do not have any affiliated hospitals near Philadelphia. Has anybody ever tried to get clinical outside of the sgu list if it is at all possible?

I think the core rotations have to be done at an affiliated hospital. It is possible to schedule your own cores but strongly not recommended, just pick one of the clinical centers and do them all there. Trying to arrange your own is risking a delay that can cost you later on in the Match. Save your away rotations for 4th year electives.

There are several in the NY metro area, and a couple in southern NJ as well which are probably even closer. Philly is like 2 hours on a $10 Megabus from Midtown. Easy peasy.

Also, don't pick your medical school based on the geographical location of their affiliated hospitals. You won't have time in 3rd year to do much else than study and work anyway.

The closest clinical site to Philly is probably Monmouth Medical Center, but I don't think you can do all your cores there/spots are limited. There are plenty of centers in central/north Jersey (Barnabas, Hackensack, Overlook, etc) that are reasonably close.

I think the core rotations have to be done at an affiliated hospital. It is possible to schedule your own cores but strongly not recommended, just pick one of the clinical centers and do them all there. Trying to arrange your own is risking a delay that can cost you later on in the Match. Save your away rotations for 4th year electives.

There are several in the NY metro area, and a couple in southern NJ as well which are probably even closer. Philly is like 2 hours on a $10 Megabus from Midtown. Easy peasy.

Also, don't pick your medical school based on the geographical location of their affiliated hospitals. You won't have time in 3rd year to do much else than study and work anyway.

I'm not picking based on that, but my husband is in Philly so I was trying to find ways to be close to him and not spend 4 years far away. Thanks for your help.