SGU (how should I improve my chances?)

Started by coyfish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coyfish

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think my chances here in the US are exhausted. I dropped out of college and turned things around. Got my AA from a CC with honors (3.5+). I however do have sprinkled C's all the way until last semester. I have retaken courses, 3F's and and 2 D's on my record. I graduate this summer and just got an A in molec bio I.

Overall I have a 3.1GPA ( in biology) and a 27 MCAT. I want to apply early for the January cycle. My MCAT is pretty good, for the Caribbean. My poor grades however scare me. I was doing well but last semester I got a 79.3 in genetics and got a C 🙁. That really killed my forward "momentum." Should I take / get an A in molec bio II or retake the MCAT in august? I have taken so many classes that my GPA won't budge. But I can show further recent improvement. What do you think would make more of an impact? Do I even have a chance?

I have solid ECs with work experience in pathology lab, animal shelter volunteer, shadow, etc.

Appreciate any feedback
 
I think my chances here in the US are exhausted. I dropped out of college and turned things around. Got my AA from a CC with honors (3.5+). I however do have sprinkled C's all the way until last semester. I have retaken courses, 3F's and and 2 D's on my record. I graduate this summer and just got an A in molec bio I.

Overall I have a 3.1GPA ( in biology) and a 27 MCAT. I want to apply early for the January cycle. My MCAT is pretty good, for the Caribbean. My poor grades however scare me. I was doing well but last semester I got a 79.3 in genetics and got a C 🙁. That really killed my forward "momentum." Should I take / get an A in molec bio II or retake the MCAT in august? I have taken so many classes that my GPA won't budge. But I can show further recent improvement. What do you think would make more of an impact? Do I even have a chance?

I have solid ECs with work experience in pathology lab, animal shelter volunteer, shadow, etc.

Appreciate any feedback

I would push for the DO schools. Retake classes and your science and overall GPA will be much higher. Atleast with DO you stand a chance of matching.
 
I am more concerned about your sporadic academic record. Your MCAT suggests you are capable of problem solving and memorization and taking tests under pressure. It's not a great score, but halfway decent.
I am more concerned about your C/D grades. Also, I'm assuming the 3.1 is with your 3.5 community college grades averaged in. I think the biggest question in the admissions committees mind is going to be whether you are going to dedicate yourself to sustained academic work. Only being able to get a C in an undergrad bio course(s) doesn't bode well, unless perhaps it was one isolated very hard class. You need to figure out what's going on with your study habits and/or personal life or values that is tripping you up.

I think DO or SGU would be decent for you. However, it seems like with your current record you'll likely get turfed to some other random Caribbean school and that wouldn't be a good thing.

I agree w/retaking some classes and retake the MCAT, and keep up w/career shadowing. Assuming you're still in your 20's, waiting another year to get into SGU or a US DO school would be better IMHO than one of the riskier Caribbean schools. You want to get to the end goal, which is to be a practicing doctor, and not just grasp at any/all acceptances to a school