SGU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IwishMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an interview invite from SGU, please give me any advice...it will be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My interview was pretty laid back. First was the essay, where you choose from three topics and then write upon one for ten minutes. It's not terribly difficult. The next part is the interview, where they'll ask you things like why are you interested in SGU, where else have you interviewed, how will you pay. These are standard questions.

After all that was done, my interviewer and I had more of a conversation. He gave me a frank assessment of how he felt about the school, my record and what he felt he got out of it. I asked him what he did on the island for fun and how their residency worked. It was probably a fairly low-stress interview, but I was amped up because I'm a nervous interviewer.

Make sure all your clothes fit, because the day of the interview, I found out that my shirt was one that I don't normally close the collar on, and had to iron another one before driving up.

Good luck!

How long does it take after SGU sends out the initial interview email to get a call/email for the actual interview date? I received the first email about 5 days ago and I am just wondering when am I gonna be contacted about the actual interview date...getting anxious about it. :rolleyes: sorry if it's a stupid question. :oops:

Best of luck to anyone applying for the aug 2008 cycle :thumbup:.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

My interview was pretty laid back. First was the essay, where you choose from three topics and then write upon one for ten minutes. It's not terribly difficult. The next part is the interview, where they'll ask you things like why are you interested in SGU, where else have you interviewed, how will you pay. These are standard questions.

After all that was done, my interviewer and I had more of a conversation. He gave me a frank assessment of how he felt about the school, my record and what he felt he got out of it. I asked him what he did on the island for fun and how their residency worked. It was probably a fairly low-stress interview, but I was amped up because I'm a nervous interviewer.

Make sure all your clothes fit, because the day of the interview, I found out that my shirt was one that I don't normally close the collar on, and had to iron another one before driving up.

Good luck!

They make you write an essay nowadays at your SGU interview??! :eek:
When I did it, years ago, it was just a simple conversation with a graduate from the program. My interviewer just asked me general questions about myself and why I wanted to go to SGU, and then I asked her questions about the school. Damn, times have changed! I would think just writing the personal statement would be enough!

Hi Guys,
I have my SGU interview next Monday. A girlfriend of mine who is now out of Greneda and in NY doing her third year clinicals told me to find out what the interview essay topics were to be best prepared... any clues?

Hi Guys,
I have my SGU interview next Monday. A girlfriend of mine who is now out of Greneda and in NY doing her third year clinicals told me to find out what the interview essay topics were to be best prepared... any clues?
check out the "Interview Feedback" link from the SDN homepage

good luck on the interview

How long does it take after SGU sends out the initial interview email to get a call/email for the actual interview date? I received the first email about 5 days ago and I am just wondering when am I gonna be contacted about the actual interview date...getting anxious about it. :rolleyes: sorry if it's a stupid question. :oops:

Best of luck to anyone applying for the aug 2008 cycle :thumbup:.

Hey!! Did you ever hear from them?? How long did it take?
I hope you got an interview!!

Hey!! Did you ever hear from them?? How long did it take?
I hope you got an interview!!

I have just received an email from my interviewer about a couple days ago...my interview is on saturday.

Hi IwishMD,

Good for you! I know exactly how you felt about the interview before it was scheduled. Its nerve racking!

My application was complete on Mar 12th and I recieved an interview call on Mar 17th. I'm still waiting for my scheduling info. Seeing that yours took approx 4 weeks, I'm probably going to have my interview right in the middle of my exams!

Be sure to check out the valueMD website for interview tips as well. Where are you from?

Good Luck!

Be sure to check out the valueMD website for interview tips as well. Where are you from?

Good Luck!

Yea I have been checking out the valuemd site..great help and i have started a thread there as well about the interview.
I am from Windsor, Ontario and i ll be interviewing in Michigan.

I have just interviewed with St. George today...its all still in my head. If anyone is interviewing soon and require help, feel free to ask.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. :)

I have just interviewed with St. George today...its all still in my head. If anyone is interviewing soon and require help, feel free to ask.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. :)

hey I appreciate if you can share some of the most important things about your SGU interview. thanks.

I have recently posted on the interview feedback post...I was way too stressed for my interview, i guess an advice would be just relax. I went through each of the interview feedback posts and collected about 60 questions and all of the questions came out of those, except two.

He asked me the most significant event that occured on the island of grenada in the 70s...i had no clue...so know the history of the island as well. I never thought a question like this could come. and one of the hardest questions was the ways in which people make living on the island, i only knew one...tourism and other two he told me.

Also make it seem like u wanna go to SGU really bad and show him/her that u are determined and can do it no matter what.

I felt like he was rushing the interview and before i would even answer he would interrupt me...you will be fine as long as u take a look at those interview feedback post and organize ur thoughts.

Hope this helped! Best of luck. :thumbup:

Are the interview threads people are referring to the feedback ones posted in SDN's "Interview Feedback" section? Are there any other threads regarding interviews as well, and if so, could someone direct me to those? Also, I have not been able to locate the interview threads on ValueMD yet, so any specific directions for those would be helpful too! Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, those r the sdn allopathic med school interview feedbacks. U can find plenty of them on VMD too. Although they arent as thorough and organised.