SGU Jan'13 start but what about pending U.S. apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

claridge13

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has run into the following problem re: admissions decisions and SGU...or if you have any advice on how to proceed.

This June, I'm applying to MD and DO schools in the U.S...but also am seriously considering SGU if my upcoming MCAT (first attempt) isn't exactly where it needs to be. My GPA is competitive, reqs, paper, etc. all are great...but since I already took a year off, there's no way I can possibly delay another year and retest.

That said, if I do get into SGU for the January 2013 matriculation but I'm still waiting to hear back from the MD and DO schools, what should I do?

I read that SGU doesn't let you defer...so should I just not apply to SGU, wait to hear back from the U.S. schools and if they are all no's, apply as early as possible for the SGU August 2013 matriculation date? Would it be better to apply anyways and if I get in, just say no but then re-apply for August? I don't want that to be held against me...though nor would I want to head to Grenada in January only to get into a U.S. school a month or so after if I am lucky enough to score a spot toward the end of the cycle.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
 
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has run into the following problem re: admissions decisions and SGU...or if you have any advice on how to proceed.

This June, I'm applying to MD and DO schools in the U.S...but also am seriously considering SGU if my upcoming MCAT (first attempt) isn't exactly where it needs to be. My GPA is competitive, reqs, paper, etc. all are great...but since I already took a year off, there's no way I can possibly delay another year and retest.

That said, if I do get into SGU for the January 2013 matriculation but I'm still waiting to hear back from the MD and DO schools, what should I do?

I read that SGU doesn't let you defer...so should I just not apply to SGU, wait to hear back from the U.S. schools and if they are all no's, apply as early as possible for the SGU August 2013 matriculation date? Would it be better to apply anyways and if I get in, just say no but then re-apply for August? I don't want that to be held against me...though nor would I want to head to Grenada in January only to get into a U.S. school a month or so after if I am lucky enough to score a spot toward the end of the cycle.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I wish I would have asked this question last year, because I wouldn't have made the same mistake you are about to make. Here is what I did, and here is what you should do
I applied last year and was a little unsure of my chances of getting in and so I applied to AUC (AUC was the only carib school i was interested in) in addition to the U.S other schools. I applied for january 2012 and got in right away and paid a $1600 deposit. This was in october of 2011. shortly after this, i began to get interviews here in the states. I got waitlisted at the schools i interviewed at, which was disappointing because I was counting on knowing if I was admitted before i had to go to the carib. With the hope of getting off the waitlist, I decided to defer my application till may 12' which cost another $500. Cut a long story short, i ended up getting accepted by one of the U.S schools but I wasted $2100 because i did not plan well.
Here is what you should do. Unless, you are 40, you are in no rush. in the grand scheme of things, a year is no big deal. I myself took 2 years off. I think you should NOT apply for january 13' and apply for the august 13' like the U.S schools. This allows you to dedicate as much time to getting in a us school as well as having the carib as a back-up. This way, you don't waste money on a $4000 SGU deposit. yes, 4000. My friend was just about to pay his deposit to SGU on wednesday, but I persuaded him to delay and he got accepted by a U.S school yesterday. Be patient and study hard on your MCAT.
 
Hey, Thanks a lot for the input. Am leaning towards that since I can always wait and apply the minute apps open for Aug13 start date at SGU, but the reinforcement helps. Appreciate it!
 
The Caribbean schools will still take you later, whether they let you "defer" or not now. I wouldn't give them money/a deposit unless you are sure you will go. Try at least 1-2 full application cycles in the US before you even consider Caribbean.