SGU or Limerick University Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chahal

Reaction score
Hello,

I am really split between SGU (Caribbeans) and Limerick (Ireland) medical school. Limerick has a better reputation and prestige compared to SGU. However, SGU offers 2 years of clinical rotations in the States, which may make it easier to collect reference letters. The match back rate to Canada for SGU is ~50% and for Limerick, it ranges between 40-60%. Limericks USMLE pass rate is above 90%, whereas SGU is ~99%. I also heard from some people that SGU doesn't let students move forward to clinicals before completing the USMLE, however, in Ireland IMGs have to make their own initiative to complete and prepare for the exam. On one end I think Limerick has a better reputation, but I'm trying to figure out what will get me back to Canada at the end of the day.

I would appreciate any advice from students that went to SGU or Limerick and what they think about the curriculum and how they matched back to Canada.

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think for Canada its probably Limerick, but if your goal is Canada or the US then its probably SGU. With that being said, I think theres always going to be less stigma coming from Ireland than coming from SGU and that may be something that matters to you. In Canada, a lot of wealthy doctors kids go to Ireland but much fewer go to the Caribbean and that may play a role as some of these doctors are making the residency selection decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think for Canada its probably Limerick, but if your goal is Canada or the US then its probably SGU. With that being said, I think theres always going to be less stigma coming from Ireland than coming from SGU and that may be something that matters to you. In Canada, a lot of wealthy doctors kids go to Ireland but much fewer go to the Caribbean and that may play a role as some of these doctors are making the residency selection decisions.
i am in a similar position , i think i will accept SGU for the chance to came back to canada

Hi there, I decided to move forward with Limerick after comparing class sizes, obtaining residency in Canada and the transition from Canada to Ireland seemed easier than moving to the Carribean.

Reactions: 1 users