Sgu Or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nooro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
someone please just pick one... SGU or Ross cause people who go to Ross say Ross but alot of other people say SGU so i'm so lost anyone please be specific?

Members don't see this ad.

Nooro said:
someone please just pick one... SGU or Ross cause people who go to Ross say Ross but alot of other people say SGU so i'm so lost anyone please be specific?

As long as you are aware of some of the challenges of going to a caribbean school I don't think you can go wrong with either one, you can even throw some of the other schools in ther such as AUC.

Perhaps you might look at which hospitals they have affiliations with and how many spots they have. This way you'll have a better idea of where you might end up doing your residency or practicing.

None. Go U.S. MD or DO. It is worth it. Unless you know for sure you want primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leukocyte said:
None. Go U.S. MD or DO. It is worth it. Unless you know for sure you want primary care.

If you look on the caribbean school's residency match lists, you will see that about 1/4 of the students go into non-primary care specialties. Highly competitive specialties will be difficult to get, but there is no reason one should not be able to get mid-tier specialties if he/she works hard. Of course a US school should be the first choice, but I would not rule out Caribbean schools. Good luck.

medicine is a sucky field to go into. it's not worth it, especially if you choose to go carribbean.

doc05 said:
medicine is a sucky field to go into. it's not worth it, especially if you choose to go carribbean.

However sadly, I do agree.

Nooro said:
I say SGU over Ross, their students seem to get better matches.

doc05 said:

Unfortunately doc05 represents way too many people in the field right now, and if doc05 is serious I hope he/she doesn't have too much of a toxic effect on his/her colleagues. And Leukocyte, regarding only primary care options for Caribbeans students, either he/she speaks from ignorance or perhaps from hostility at his/her own failures.

As for Nooro's original post: I went to SGU and I felt very fortunate to have gone there. There are crabby, snotty young people there who've never been further away from home than the McDonald's in their suburb or a nightclub in the city they live near. They whine the entire time, feeling they got screwed by a US school, and feeling that SGU doesn't treat them with the respect they think they deserve while taking no responsibility what so ever for not commanding that respect.

There are also many, many students who are committed to doing well with the second chance SGU gave them. These are people who truly are interested in learning how to be a great clinicians and are treated with the respect they command. These are also the same people who DO GET great residencies because they carry themselves in a manner that shows physicians in their clinical years that they're serious, dedicated students.

Yes, it's an additional hurdle being from a Caribbean school. But if you look at the residency placements for SGU you'll see approx. 39% go into internal medicine. This is a pathway to sub-specialties like Cardiology, Pulmonology, etc. I don't know how many of this 39% go on to fellowships though. About 13% go into General Surgery, 14% Pediatrics, 5% Emergency Medicine. Since each year there are two classes this represents around 450 new doctors each year. This also means that SGU graduates about 58 doctors to Surgery residencies, 63 to Peds, 22 to Emergency Med., etc. each year. I myself got an EM residency. It's hard to get Dermatology. It's hard to get Rad. Onc. But not impossible. In general, the door is wide open. The big difference is that US school jerks get good residencies while Caribbean jerks don't.

Also, SGU has 3rd year rotations at only 1 hospital for the whole year for most students, where Ross (I believe) students have to move around a lot from hospital to hospital. This may not be the defining factor for you, but I feel it made life really easy for me and my friends.

Finally, there will always be people (mostly in the field, not from patients) that will challenge (mostly behind your back) your credentials. This is, of course, out of ignorance and poor social skills for the most part. And, unfortunately, poor social skills are for some wierd reason prevalent within the medical community. So if you have a somewhat thick skin, are not easily influenced by other's childish negativity, have an adventurous spirit, and want to be a doctor despite having been made to feel you're not qualified, SGU offers you a chance to prove to yourself that you have the ability and desire.

Good luck.

Hey just wanted to say thank you to everyone who put their 2 cents in, even if you don't tihnk medicine is worth it through the Carribean, it is your opinion. I want to especially thank Skeeixdoc.

Hope all goes well for everyone,
thanks again,
~Nooro