SGU or Second Undergrad in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casomar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a Non traditional Student in Canada who completed my undergrad in Biology with a cGPA of 3.4. I went through financial and family issues during my undergrad years (not making any excuses cos I made my fair share of stupid decisions) I was international student at the time and after a while, I was just eager to graduate. After getting rejected from Canadian schools I realized my gpa is not competitive which is why I was really happy when I got accepted to SGU for Aug 2017. However, I have been reading horror stories about Caribbean medical schools and I am not sure what to do. I know the match rate for IMGs in Canada is really low. I don't want to spend years in SGU and get saddled with a 200k debt because I can't match in Canada. I applied for a second entry program at UofT in radiation therapy as a plan B and I think my chances of getting in aren't bad. This second option gives me the opportunity to improve my gpa, gain some clinical experience and become more competitive when I decide to apply again to Medical schools here in Canada. Am I making the right decision not going to SGU?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Making the right decision. ABSOLUTELY don't go to the Carib ESPECIALLY if you're Canadian. On top of being an IMG, you'll have Visa issues when applying for residencies (which doesn't affect Americans studying in the Caribbean). In other words, it's more likely for you to be screwed as a Canadian Carib grad than an American.
I'm against the second degree thing. Skip it. Especially Radiation therapy where i don't even know what % of the class will get 4.0's.
Take the MCAT, do well, apply to US DO school. 3.4 is fine.

Second undergrad.

Unless you want to put your trust in Trump to not screw up the visa programs (which he is already starting to do....), because you're highly, highly unlikely to get a spot in Canada for residency. If going carib was risky last year, it's downright foolish now

Members don't see this ad :)
DO school... No brainer

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah.. I have an entire thread dedicated to this topic, I also recently published a book that talks specifically about your situation, I strongly encourage you check out my thread on my signature, as well as my book. I go into great detail discussing this complicated and lengthy issue. G'luck!

So I am a Non traditional Student in Canada who completed my undergrad in Biology with a cGPA of 3.4. I went through financial and family issues during my undergrad years (not making any excuses cos I made my fair share of stupid decisions) I was international student at the time and after a while, I was just eager to graduate. After getting rejected from Canadian schools I realized my gpa is not competitive which is why I was really happy when I got accepted to SGU for Aug 2017. However, I have been reading horror stories about Caribbean medical schools and I am not sure what to do. I know the match rate for IMGs in Canada is really low. I don't want to spend years in SGU and get saddled with a 200k debt because I can't match in Canada. I applied for a second entry program at UofT in radiation therapy as a plan B and I think my chances of getting in aren't bad. This second option gives me the opportunity to improve my gpa, gain some clinical experience and become more competitive when I decide to apply again to Medical schools here in Canada. Am I making the right decision not going to SGU?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah.. I have an entire thread dedicated to this topic, I also recently published a book that talks specifically about your situation, I strongly encourage you check out my thread on my signature, as well as my book. I go into great detail discussing this complicated and lengthy issue. G'luck!
I just read your thread and it is awesome. I'm a new Canadian permanent resident and I am still learning options available to me. I didn't consider U.S DO schools because I honestly didn't think I was competitive enough plus the fact that I would have been applying as an international dissuaded me from applying. Anyways, thanks again!

Congrats on your book! That is amazing!