SGU/RUSVM clinical year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabawok834

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a clinical year choice for an SGU (or RUSVM) student. I'm looking at schools to submit as my choices and we don't get a lot of "personable" information about the schools/areas besides like case load and clinical information. I was hoping current students grads of SGU/RUSVM or any of the affiliate schools would be willing to comment on their clinical year. I think my top choices are NC state and Georgia, but would appreciate feedback on any of the other schools listed!

I've looked through the search results but most of the threads I get back are "sgu vs rusvm" threads. Appreciate any help! :)

• Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
  • Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
  • Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
  • Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
  • Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN
  • Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
  • Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI
  • Mississippi State University, Starkville, Mississippi
  • North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
  • Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
  • Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
  • Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
  • The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
  • Tuskegee University,Tuskegee, AL
  • University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
  • University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
  • University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
  • University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota
  • University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
  • University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
  • Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
  • Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
  • University of Wisconsin, Madison

Members don't see this ad.

What specific or personable information are you looking for?-Town size and safety? Cost of living? Culture of the school? Culture of different rotations? On call policies?

Over in pre-vet, there's a sub-forum for x vs y school, and in there is a "factors for picking a school" that has a lot of information on student perception of their school. Illinois takes in a ton of island students (probably 40 at a time per school), so asking upper classmen you may know may give you a better perspective since island students have slightly different requirements and stuff for clinical year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Sorry, I should have been more specific. I guess I'm just looking for all around satisfaction with the clinical year and the area. Now that you mention it, culture of the rotations/school would be interesting to hear about. I mostly don't know if I like making a choice on only quantitative data (caseload, rotation length, city population, etc).

My preferences are: I would like to go to a school in a somewhat larger city (I am an LSU alum, but trying to branch out of Louisiana). I would also like a school that fosters a good community versus somewhere that is hypercompetitive.

This is kind of like when you have way too many choices at a restaurant and they all sound really good! I have kind of been basing my choices on the caseload and places I might like to live, but I honestly am not sure if that is the best way to choose. For instance, is a school like Oregon State which sees 9700 SA cases a year vs NC state's 32,000 going to be a significant difference in what I get to see and ultimately my preparedness when I graduate? I assume it is, but I also believe that both schools put out successful veterinarians so maybe I'm missing another important factor.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I am sure all of these schools are great and maybe I'm just putting too much thought into it.

Over in pre-vet, there's a sub-forum for x vs y school, and in there is a "factors for picking a school" that has a lot of information on student perception of their school. Illinois takes in a ton of island students (probably 40 at a time per school), so asking upper classmen you may know may give you a better perspective since island students have slightly different requirements and stuff for clinical year.
I will look here as well for more information, thank you!

Looking through the 'x vs y" now and this is actually pretty helpful! Just have to dig through the different posts. :love:

I did my fourth year rotations at University of Tennessee and loved it. Happy to discuss further and give more details. You can PM me if you want! I think it also depends a bit on your career goals, like if you want to specialize in something or go into GP or large animal medicine, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I did my fourth year rotations at University of Tennessee and loved it. Happy to discuss further and give more details. You can PM me if you want! I think it also depends a bit on your career goals, like if you want to specialize in something or go into GP or large animal medicine, etc.
Yes. Since you have a choice, you can actually tailor it more towards your current interests. For instance, some schools don't have a true neurology dept vs dairy vs beef cattle etc.

Reactions: 1 user