SGU vs Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdawg36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please advise as to which medical school, St. George or Ross, is better? Which is the best outside the US. I have a 3.6 GPA and 23 MCAT from top undergrad school but am not able to score on the MCAT. I have excellent rec letter, basic and clinical research exp, community service, publications, and more. I have applied to nearly 35 US med schools but was declined acceptance in any of them. I am trying to get admission in Ross for this August, however, St. George's deadline has already passed. Do you advise I enroll in Ross should I be accepted, or wait to hear from acceptance froom SGU to enroll in January? Overall, which one is better and do students get good residencies in US? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Try DO, too. What I know about Ross and SGU, is that SGU is older, therefore more established, and more expensive.

Don't give up so easy! Rewrite the MCATs...score better - It is possible. With a 3.6, a smokin MCAT and good ECs you should be fairly competitive. If you really want to know the comparison of SGU to Ross then you should spend some time searching past posts: It has been discussed to no end.

Members don't see this ad :)
kdawg36 said:
Can someone please advise as to which medical school, St. George or Ross, is better? Which is the best outside the US. I have a 3.6 GPA and 23 MCAT from top undergrad school but am not able to score on the MCAT. I have excellent rec letter, basic and clinical research exp, community service, publications, and more. I have applied to nearly 35 US med schools but was declined acceptance in any of them. I am trying to get admission in Ross for this August, however, St. George's deadline has already passed. Do you advise I enroll in Ross should I be accepted, or wait to hear from acceptance froom SGU to enroll in January? Overall, which one is better and do students get good residencies in US? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I agree with the others in retake the MCAT, but if you do not want to,

Either school is just as good, both have fed student loans, both have all 50 as far as Lic, really the only problem you may have is if you want a TOP residency/specialty, there's were it can make a diff if you stay in the USA.

:luck:

Sgu Is Better.

:thumbup: There are a lot of differences between the two schools. My brother went to St.Georges and my other brother “best friend" went to ROSS.

They can range from living situations to your clinical rotations. You need to make a list of questions that you would want answered for example:

" I heard that in some clinicals in the ROSS program are done in DO settings, is this true?" or " I heard that all of the rotations from St.Georges are done in one hospital, is this true? " or " do I need to take a test similar to step 1 of the USMLE in order to leave the island? And if so what is the passing rate? Can I avoid taking it? "

I mean I would think of a lot of questions to ask and then I would call them and ask.

Get it from the horses’ mouth. =)

Good luck :thumbup:
Mars :cool:

My good friend. Carib schools rankings are nothing more than majoring in the minors, IMHO. It's a diet coke vs diet pepsi, a hard ball vs soft ball vs matza ball type debate. You seem to have pretty good stats. Retake MCAT, and stay in U.S. Otherwise both ROSS and SGU will get you there, but it's always going to be a "2nd best place" IMHO :cool: