Shadowing a D.O. for M.D. schools...

Started by Filibuster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Filibuster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I got a late start in the app process this season and have been waitlisted at two schools. I've gotten feedback indicating that I need to show more dedication to become a physician. Which irritates the he11 out of me. Apparently volunteering, shadowing, studying for the MCAT and completing the application process while working 50 hours a week obviously shows a lack of dedication/interest. O.K. enough with the rant. Here's my question.

I've got an opportunity to shadow a D.O. for an extended period of time and was wondering how M.D. schools might view this. I'm going to need a LOR from a D.O. next year anyhow for at least one of the osteopathic schools I'm applying to. Any opinions? Thanks...
 
Filibuster said:
Hi everyone. I got a late start in the app process this season and have been waitlisted at two schools. I've gotten feedback indicating that I need to show more dedication to become a physician. Which irritates the he11 out of me. Apparently volunteering, shadowing, studying for the MCAT and completing the application process while working 50 hours a week obviously shows a lack of dedication/interest. O.K. enough with the rant. Here's my question.

I've got an opportunity to shadow a D.O. for an extended period of time and was wondering how M.D. schools might view this. I'm going to need a LOR from a D.O. next year anyhow for at least one of the osteopathic schools I'm applying to. Any opinions? Thanks...

I did. It was a wonderful experience. I got a great LOR out of it. I've been admitted to 4 allo schools and 3 osteopathic schools so far. Go for it.
 
I agree. Any experience shadowing a physician will be a good one. DOs do everything MDs in the same specialty would do, including OMM if they choose to include it in their practices.

Go for it!

DOs write better recommendations anyway. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rpkall said:
I agree. Any experience shadowing a physician will be a good one. DOs do everything MDs in the same specialty would do, including OMM if they choose to include it in their practices.

Go for it!

DOs write better recommendations anyway. 😉

True that! 👍
 
How do you find opportunities like that? Do you just ask physicians that you know?