Shadowing a DO and LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be shadowing my family practice physician for four days next week. It is my understanding that some osteopathic medical schools require a letter of recommendation for admission. I know this person well. What are some good questions that I should be asking when I shadow? I'm interesting in pursuing primary care as a career; he already knows that. What should I refrain from asking? Also, what is the proper etiquette when asking a physician for a letter of rec? Should I be asking for a letter of rec after only four days (about 24 hours) of shadowing? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just be yourself and ask whatever you want to ask. Don't worry about what you "should" be saying.

And don't ask for a letter of rec unless by the end of it you feel he will give you a good one. It's better not to have a letter from someone than to have one saying you're annoying and impertinent. If you do think he'll write you a good letter, just say "would you be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me?" Be sure to have the Interfolio account or whatever lined up so that if he agrees you don't need to make him wait around for the info.

I'll be shadowing my family practice physician for four days next week. It is my understanding that some osteopathic medical schools require a letter of recommendation for admission. I know this person well. What are some good questions that I should be asking when I shadow? I'm interesting in pursuing primary care as a career; he already knows that. What should I refrain from asking? Also, what is the proper etiquette when asking a physician for a letter of rec? Should I be asking for a letter of rec after only four days (about 24 hours) of shadowing? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. he already knows you will be asking for a letter, docs know how these things work. middle of week remind him about interest in applying and if he has advice for you. engage in small talk and show your (good) personality. don't forget a thank you card for him and staff.
2. refrain from asking questions when in front of patients and do not ask specific medical questions, people view that as annoying since you will not understand answer regardless.
3. I disagree with this "It's better not to have a letter from someone than to have one saying you're annoying and impertinent." If they are unwilling to write a good letter they will not waste time, nobody takes time to write "annoying and impertinent" letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
3. I disagree with this "It's better not to have a letter from someone than to have one saying you're annoying and impertinent." If they are unwilling to write a good letter they will not waste time, nobody takes time to write "annoying and impertinent" letters.

I don't think that's true, but it depends on the person writing the letter. Maybe it's different in medicine, but I've seen recommendation letters in other fields that rather explicitly discuss the shortcomings of the subject..

I don't think that's true, but it depends on the person writing the letter. Maybe it's different in medicine, but I've seen recommendation letters in other fields that rather explicitly discuss the shortcomings of the subject..

A physician will let an applicant know if they are writing a poor LOR. Very rarely will an LOR separate one applicant from another, they are all very similar. Perhaps @Goro can give you more insight into this. But it is true.

I usually just ask, "Would you be willing to write me a letter of support for my candidacy". Body language says a lot....you'll in know in the first few seconds as a reply to that answer if they will be or not...

Which schools require letters of recommendation from DOs?

I've never, ever seen a bad LOR from a clinician.

OP should ask things like "why did you choose medicine as a career?

"Why your specialty?"

"Why the med school you chose?"

"Any advice for me?"

"Would you have the time to write LOR for me?"

Be professional, courteous, and always on time. Make sure to listen well, and observe well.

A physician will let an applicant know if they are writing a poor LOR. Very rarely will an LOR separate one applicant from another, they are all very similar. Perhaps @Goro can give you more insight into this. But it is true.

Reactions: 1 users
1. he already knows you will be asking for a letter, docs know how these things work. middle of week remind him about interest in applying and if he has advice for you. engage in small talk and show your (good) personality. don't forget a thank you card for him and staff.
2. refrain from asking questions when in front of patients and do not ask specific medical questions, people view that as annoying since you will not understand answer regardless.

Should I give him a thank you card and his staff a different thank you card, or can I just send one single thank you card to him and his staff?

Should I give him a thank you card and his staff a different thank you card, or can I just send one single thank you card to him and his staff?

I usually do individual, personalized cards. I don't see issue with sending one card thanking everybody if that is easier for you.

Reactions: 1 user

Give his nurses/staff one and then one to him. He's the one writing your letter.

Give his nurses/staff one and then one to him. He's the one writing your letter.

I'll do this. Two letters sounds like the best way to go.