Shadowing a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Doc_Panchal

Hi,
I have a question on how to approach a doctor about shadowing. Last month, I had looked up couple of MD's over the internet to shadow them, and so couple days later, I went to the doctors' office and talked with them about shadowing. Anyhow, they gave me confused looks, and then, another doctor talked with me and told me that not a lot of patients come to their office since it is a small practice but I was welcome to shadow them. So I shadowed them.

I want to shadow a DO and luckily, i found quite a few DO's around my town. The only question is how do i approach them. I am sorry that this is a stupid question, but I want to know that should I call them first or just go straight to the office and ask to see a doctor and ask if they let students shadow them?

Thanks for helping!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Doc:

I don't understand what you're so confused (or worried) about.

CALL THE OFFICE(S) FIRST! Speak to the desk-clerk; describe your situation (Pre-Medical student wanting to learn more about the daily practice of physicians and your interest in Osteopathic Medicine perhaps); ask if there are any available days in the future where you can visit and watch the doctor(s) treat patients.

One more thing: speak to the doctor himself/herself if you can on the telephone before visiting. Don't surprise anyone.

Good luck.

I recently was in the same boat as you. Here's what I did. I simply got on the internet and found about 20 DO's in my area. I wrote a generic letter explaining that I was interested in applying to osteopathic medical school and I would like to come to their office to see what it's all about. Then mailed them out. Of course I was a bit more detailed than that but you get the picture.

Most of them didn't reply, some of them told me no but 5 of them called or emailed me to schedule a time to hook up. I've been to three so far and all have invited me back and offered to write letters.

So like I said that's what I did and it worked out pretty well. I forgot who but somebody on here reminded me that all these doctors that we look up to were once in our shoes and needed recomendations and a lil guidance, so they're are most often willing to help someone who is serious about pursuing medicine. So anyway I hope that helps.