shadowing a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareRx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do usually people start shadowing a DO? After freshman year, sophomore year, or the earlier the better?

Members don't see this ad.

I did mine in my Senior year. However, a friend of mine shadowed his family physician who happens to be DO all through out college. He went home every friday afternoon and shadowed his family DO.

Do you need to shadow a DO just for your own experience or there's a question on the application as well about it? It will help me figure if I need to shadow before I apply or it can be done after. I just finished my first undergrad year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, most DO schools require that you shadow a DO and get an evaluation or recommendation letter which will be part of your supplemental application material. A DO evaluation is among the other things like GPA, MCAT, personal statement, that are considered during the admission process. I shadowed I DO who was a Clinical faculty at the school I applied to, and
during my interview, I was told that my DO recommendation was excellent.
IMO, if you find a DO , arrange to shadow him/her once a month throughout your Jnr and snr year.
GOOD LUCK

Thanks a lot! It is very good to know.
Why is a snr year important for shadowing?
I thought all applications are supposed to be sent out in the beginning of the snr year.

The More the Better...why not show how devoted you are to osteopathy (that is...if you are) There is never TOO much experience. Good luck :cool: