shadowing a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are several DO's in my area that I would like to spend some time shadowing. My question is, how do I go about contacting them? Is it best to send a resume, call them, or go directly to the doctor's office and ask to meet with the DO?

If anyone who has been through this process has any tips or suggestions that would be great!

Nicole :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Nicole,

I suggest doing a combination of phone call as well as personally visiting the doctor's office. What I suggest is calling first and allowing them a couple of days to respond. If they do not respond then you might want to try to visit the office and ask if it is at all possible to shadow the doctor.... Express that you understand his/her busy schedule, but you would greatly appreciate his/her time. Tell them that you are most definitely interested in the osteopathic profession and shadowing an osteopathic physician would help you attain a better understanding of the profession.... Anything of the sort, you might even want to say that the only thing hindering you from applying is a letter of recommendation. Also, be flexible to the time of the doctor.... he/she is giving you some time of their day.

Okay, just my two cents....
Popoy :cool:

Anyone else with any suggestion for a fellow SDNer?

I personally like the idea of calling the doctors first before visiting their office.

Have your list of doctors in front of you and start dialing.

You WILL have a hard time talking to the doctors directly, but don't give up! Leave a brief message with the secretary. Some doctors do return your call.

I had a doctor who called back, and he asked for my resume. I also had a different doctor who was willing to see me the next day!

More numbers you call translates into better chance of finding a doc who's willing to take you along.

Good luck!
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have tried to contact 4 Doctors by leaving messages and emailing 1. Needless to say a week later and not a peep. I think my next strategy is going to talk to my family physician and see if he can connect me with one of these docs.

Good Luck!

I am lucky enough to know some DO from working as a paramedic. If I were you, I would volunteer in the ER or something like that and pick a nice DO to hang around with there if your calling fails. This depends on your location, here in Michigan there are almost as many DO as MD, so finding one in the ER, hospice, or anywhere is easy. Also, try an urgent care, many docs moonlight at these, after you get to know one they may invite you to their practice.

Find connections. I found friends who had DO's as their physicians. I just tagged along with them when they went in and just got to meet the them that way.

Once you meet them face to face and they know you are interested in the profession, they are very willing to help out. If they aren't then they risk losing your friend as their patient (Just Kidding). ;)

Well, you all will probably think I'm crazy, but the only way I was able to get to my family doc to ask him if I could shadow was to make an appt! It worked and he was very cool about it. I would have done the same for shadowing the DO I also see in this practice (this guy was an MD) but I prefered shadowing a DO I work with who is NOT a primary care doc. (But the reason I wanted to shadow him was partly because I have worked with him and happen to know he is a wonderful person, and partly because he is an adjunct faculty at my 1st choice med school!)

However, that strategy may not work if you have never seen a doctor before, but if you have ever gone to a doctor for anything - and I'm sure everyone has! - Call the office and see if there's a DO in the group. Chances are there is at least one, and even if you haven't had the chance to see that particular doc before, having gone to the group itself gives you some credibility. It may cost you (or your parents!) a copay, but it's worth it.

Also, similar to finding work where there are plenty of docs, you can check around and see if there is a free clinic in your town. That is a great way to meet docs and get your volunteer/community service time in all in one fell swoop!

Good luck!

I don't think that was crazy... I think it's innovative....

Hey, you got to do what you got to do!!!.... to get that letter of recommendation.

Whatever works.... phone, visit, appointment, hook ups.... Name it... Just do it.... at least try.... :D