@@@Shadowing a doc! Will this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halakkala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal.

I volunteered in Africa for 3 weeks 2 summers ago, when I was a junior, but I was wondering if this will count towards my shadowing experiences?

I already have quite a few hours, but I was wondering if this would count. Also, how would I write this on AMCAS?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd put it down as volunteering or clinical exp. It's much easier for you to get a quick 1-2 weeks of shadowing in the US right now than go to Africa. Shadowing also isn't required.

Basically, since it's in Africa, you can put down whatever you want to (as long as it's true).

What ARE practically required are:
-clinical exp
-volunteering
-research if applying to research-heavy, top schools.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not familiar with the AMCAS Application. Is there a category under the extracurriculars section? i.e. is there a category that says "shadowing experience" "research" etc.?

So you are saying that volunteering in Africa is considered as "shadowing?" There were 2 doctors there and they were with us all day at the clinic, so I'm pretty positive that it would be considered as shadowing. Would I write 8hours x 5days x 3 weeks = 120 hours?

I'd put it down as volunteering or clinical exp. It's much easier for you to get a quick 1-2 weeks of shadowing in the US right now than go to Africa. Shadowing also isn't required.

Basically, since it's in Africa, you can put down whatever you want to (as long as it's true).

What ARE practically required are:
-clinical exp
-volunteering
-research if applying to research-heavy, top schools.

The application has several different categories and you get 15 total EC's and you classify them by the options- clinical work, other work, clinical volunteering, other voluntering, research, honors, etc.

I highly recommend shadowing a physician in the US (while Africa is a great experience- I went in HS) the adcom will want to see that you have seen what the field is like in a US hospital/clinic. Also many schools want to see you spent time with a primary care/family physician.